Peavey Standard (Josh Homme's new amps)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbell75, Aug 28, 2017.

1. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

Not much. Just saw a guitar/bass version go on Ebay under $150. Researching, there were a bunch of 260 series from guitar to bass to monitor to pa versions, some with or without effects, etc. I think mine is the guitar/bass version marketed to both uses, and is rated for 2 ohms. I really like it - its got an crystal tele-twank clean like a JC120, and in series with full mids, backing off the bass and treble, its got a darn smooth overdrive. Reverb is good. I'm thinking there is something to this analog solid-state sound that pre-dates todays digital amps. Cabinet is not as long as a Marshall, so it sits on my 12" and 15" cabs without hanging over. And it is loud.

mbell75 likes this.
  2. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Duke Robillard used to use one of the 260 Monitor heads as a live amp for years... I can confirm he sounded killer through it

Maggot likes this.
  3. jdel77

jdel77 Member

QOTSA and good guitar sounds don't really go together.

Daniel Travis and deadbeat son like this.
  4. TTBZ

TTBZ Member

I love QOTSA but I'm not completely sold on Villains yet. There's a few decent songs - maybe it'll be a grower. It took ages for Like Clockwork to grow on me as well. I don't think they'll ever top Rated R or SFTD though.

The album opener Feet Don't Fail Me is great, The Way You Used To grew on me a lot as well.

JeffHaddad and ericb like this.
  5. Mayhem13

Mayhem13 Member

Someone picked up on it earlier.......the solid state 'Wooly' fuzz tone that QOTSA are known for.......not exactly a guitar staple but works for them as a signature tone. Old Peavey SS stuff did that in spades when cranked......Just don't try EVH or YJM with these at home folks! Lol

ericb likes this.
  6. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Huh. I'm surprised that Josh would have picked those to take over for his Ampegs, but one of the things I adore about QOTSA is how they put weird/"wrong" guitar sounds together to brilliant effect. Most rock bands are comfortable with a fairly narrow array of gear/tones, so it's delightful to see someone carving out a distinct voice with gear most tone hounds would snub. You've got to go off the map if you want to discover new things . . .

Maggot, JeffHaddad, T Dizz and 3 others like this.
  7. vrdyer

vrdyer Member

I owned this one when I was a teenager. I was selling my Deluxe (no reverb) as it blew speakers often. Earned the money from summer employment. My choice was a Quad Reverb or the Peavey Standard with a vertical 212 cab. When I bought the Peavey they had a lifetime guarantee. I blew a lot of speakers and the power supply. The power supply was modular. So, you just unscrewed the back took off one wire and replaced it with another one. The speakers were the ceramic with an aluminum voice coil. I unscrewed the speaker, brought it in, and they gave me a new one. Bought the amp and cab at Lubbock Music store. Still have the speaker cab. All particle board. Now I have a Celestion lead 80 and a mesa Celestion 90 in the bottom. Still have the green warranty card, original receipt, manual, and a cover for the speaker. Sold the head to my cousin to use as a bass amp.

You can see it has a distortion control on it. However, if was really gratting on ear. Very harsh sound. Lynard Skynard was pushing Peavey then. The Mace amps (all tube) they sold were much better than the solid state stuff.

8. jpage

jpage Member

Holy crap!

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I'm really not convinced Homme is actually using these amps.

Stratburst70 likes this.
  10. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

11. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

12. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

that seems convincing enough.

mbell75 likes this.
  13. Navyjon21

Navyjon21 Member

Troy and Dean the other guitarist are the tone guys. I love Josh Homme's style and licks but I have never really been a fan of his tone.

Dr.Picklebottom likes this.
  14. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Ever seen them live? Thats where he sounds best IMO. His tone in Kyuss when he was playing thru the Ampeg 8x10 was badass. I like his sound in QOTSA though too.

15. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I can attest to the cool tonal nature of these 70s Peaveys with the aluminum knobs. In a band I'm in, I use an all transistor '78 Century 200 head that perches perfectly on top of my '68 Kustom 2x12" and the guitarist has a 50W '76 Classic 2x12" that is transistor preamp/6L6 power amp. Both sound great. I feel that the transistor designs of these have a simplicity to them that gives a pretty cool sound. They have solid cleans, work with pedals like champs, are bullet proof, and the distortion circuit on the Century needs to be released as a pedal. It crushes.
    The IC versions of these amps came around 1980. They have that Peavey sound, but not like the 70s versions, which just have more personality.

16. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

cool - I found a matching "booster" 2 channel power amp for stupid cheap. Still on the lookout for the 4-way footswitch with din connector. 260 series 2 channel Booster amp:

[​IMG]

17. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Grin (Nils Lofgren's band) live in '73. Nils is using a Peavey STD rig:

The Musician seems to have some cool sounds too:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  18. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Guess I should have kept my old Peavey Standard and Musician. Blew a few of those old Eminence drivers with them easily enough! I'm still using one of them though...keeps my boat from floating away! :p

19. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

His tone isn't what i would call great. Like their music though.

Daniel Travis likes this.
  20. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Has Homme figured out how not to be a total **** yet? A 44 year-old acting like a 15 year-old spoiled wanker with anger issues. Not impressive.