Peavey Tracer Model Identification

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by donnyb, Feb 7, 2012.

1. donnyb

donnyb Member

Hi Guitarists,

Can anyone ID my Peavey Tracer that has 22 frets?

The body serial # comes up at Peavey USA as a Tracer Deluxe made in 1989.

It has a 25.5 neck scale and 2 PUs. Spyder trem. Not a reverse headstock.

The Peavey user manuals for a Deluxe and a Custom sent to me by Peavey nominate 24 frets and a 25.5" scale length, but mine is definitely 22 frets.

Maybe the neck was changed at some point, but would that not change the scale length?

Many thanks.
    Don

2. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Couldn't tell you, but I have to chime in on the Tracer. Have a 1 pickup model from 90. Fantastic shredder guitar!

3. Telefan

Telefan Member

Love my Tracer 24-fret.

A change in the number of frets does not change the scale length. It may change where the neck is mounted on the body, which might mean a differently cut body or neck pocket, or in the case of 21 vs 22 frets, simply a bit longer fingerboard which extends over the body a bit. It's not uncommon to see a 22 fret neck replace one with 21 frets, and vice versa. I've done it several times.

I don't know if it's possible to swap a 22 and 24 fret neck.

4. donnyb

donnyb Member

Thanks for those answers. I went back to Peavey again, and the Tracer Deluxe came out in both 22 and 24 fret models. Peavey has sent me both User Manuals. While we are on Tracers, this model came out with a Kahler Spyder Trem I believe, but the User Manual says Kahler/Floyd Rose Lic Double Locking. I think thats the Spyder as it fits the rout. Anyway, question: do you know of any Trems that are superior and fit the Kahler Spyder rout without woodwork? Thanks, Don in Australia