• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

peavey transchorus 210, feedback ? mods ? drives ?

Soulgolem

hi all recently got this amp on the used market for not so much, the analog chorus circuit is gorgeous, the size and weight perfect for me, reverb tank good enough, drive channels horribly fizzy and plastic-y.

i got this amp because i started playing with a soon to be touring band that required lots of clean headroom and something somewhat portable and reliable, ideally i would have gotten the jc-40 or jc-77 (don’t like the tone of the jc-90) but those are now pretty expensive for what they are, can’t afford them although they do sound pretty good.

so i had my first rehearsal and i felt the peavey sounded obnoxious, like ver forward mid that don’t sound good with strumming muted strings, sounds like a machine gun takatakataka, i find it hard to play prince style rythyms or pop corn riffs because even with the mids completely cut, my mustang sounds like it’s made of concrete. i have this feeling that it could be the speakers being voiced this way because from what samples i could find online, blue marvel 10s seem to sound this way, maybe good for rock but not sweet enough for my tastes, i’m thinking since i don’t have money to get a better amp i could alternatively swap the speakers.

wondering if anyone has any experience with modding this kind of amp ? what kind of drive pedal has worked for you ?

Soulgolem

i tried a tech 21 blonde in the fx loop return to bypass the preamp section but it didn’t help at all, so i’m a little bit more sure it’s the speakers that need changing

james evans

I have one as a backup and the best thing done to mine before I bought it was installation of a pair of Celestion Vintage 60's. The cleans just shimmer, especially with a stereo delay in the loop. I liked the clean and the crunch could be dialed in. The lead was useless. I used a EHX Hot Tubes to good effect.
I liked the amp until I got my Supro Royal Reverb.

Soulgolem

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, do you mean to say that the amp was already fitted with those speakers before you bought it ? just wanting to know if you had comparison experience with what was in it before (blue marvel). Also, did you get a chance to try out some funky riffs ? like strumming muted chords, mine produces a "clank" sound when i do that, which isn't unusual for an amp with heavy mids, but doesn't fit my playing style.

james evans

yeh, they were there before I bought it so I have no comparison. Mine does the clean thing quite well, bright and chorusy...i especially liked it with my Ric 12

Trending Topics

Top Bottom