Peavey tube 60 vs Blackstar ht-20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by metalwarrior, Mar 5, 2015.

1. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

I have to decide between these two amps within a week ,, I mostly play metal (metallica, megadeth, slayer etc) and do a lot of chugging and palm muted riffs, so want a heavy bassy, tight sound but should be clear. I also need good cleans but care less for that. I just want to know that which one of them is tonally superior with high gain?

I know both have some ss circuits going through inside. But it doesn't matter to me as far as the tone is good. I know peavey has some reliability and glitchy software issue, but that's ok to me coz i don't do any gigs now. Also there is software update from peavey to fix that.

I tried peavey on a store and liked it, but couldn't get my hands on any blackstar. have seen youtube videos but dint like the gain sound on blackstar kinda weak and less appealing but one can't really trust youtube videos, others have some really good reviews.

Better Tone is what I'm after. Wattage, loudness and other features I care less. i think both can do good at low volumes. So if anyone who have owned or tried both, have any thoughts on that then please share. Will really appreciate any HELP ! THANKS !!!!

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I owned the Blackstar. It sounded decent, but wasn't nearly loud enough to hang with a drummer. Since that's not a concern, it would probably work for you.

3. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

have any experience with peavey? i'm leaning towards it. but as I havnt tried blackstar, i dont want to regret.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Is there some reason it has to be one of those two?

5. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I have a Peavey Vypyr Tube-60. Pretty nice little amp. Sounds a lot better than the others in the Vypyr series. The Tube-60 has a 12ax7 for the PI, and 2 6L6s for power. It is excellent at lower volumes, and a killer at louder volumes. One thing Peavey did get right was their TransTube technology.

The Vypyr has a lot of models that are quite decent in themselves. But they allow you to tweak them, add effects, and save them for later use.

You will need to get one of the Sanpera foot-switches to be able to access all the amp has to offer. (Behringer makes a midi pedal that works, but I have not used it).

My Tube-60 is currently on the fritz. I played it for a number of years and started having trouble with the cable for the foot-switch. I never bothered addressing the issue. Partly just being lazy (never bothered updating the firmware), and partly because I had other amps to play through.

If you can get one for a good price, they are worth the money.

Can't really speak to the Blackstar. Never tried one. Voted for the Peavey (based on my experience with it).

Hope this helps.

6. garret

garret Member

The Blackstar has a darker voice, it would be the better choice for the style you want to play. Use an equalizer to brighten up the highs.

7. jds22

jds22 Member

Had both at the same time.

I preferred the tones and versatility of the Vypyr. I think the Vyp has more low end as well but don't quote me on that.

I mainly play 80's metal along the lines of Ozzy, Maiden, JP, etc.

8. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

Actually, I din't find any other amp under that budget for my playing style.. I know there are other options as well, but either they are not available here or are very expensive.. I also considered jet city jca22, laney irt studio, egnator and 6505+ combo at a point. but couldn't find them good enough to give a shot. The dirty channel on jet city was impressive but clean was a turn off. And while laney's clean was good but distortion was kinda very modern sounding, not for the stuff I play. And the 6505 was too loud to play at room level, Waiting for it's newly announced 20 watt head to hit the market but can't wait that long. its been more than 3 months since I'm on a quest for a new amp that inspire me to play guitar for hours, Been searching all over web & store at all time,, Got really frustated and narrowed down to these two. Any other options that I should look into? its really sad that the marshall dsl, line 6 dt and evh 5150 mini, h&k tubemeister are not available in my country. :dunno

9. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

Thanks a lot to all for the input !! I am still intrigued by peavey, As most of the guys who played both prefer peaveys tone over blackstar and the last guy also confirms it.. still open for suggestions.

10. jds22

jds22 Member

My only concern with the Peavey would be the reliability.
    I know you said that doesn't concern you but I still feel I should mention it.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You may like the Peavey ValveKing II

12. jds22

jds22 Member

My opinion, and mine only, don't want to offend.
    I bought the 50w VKII and couldn't return it fast enough.
    I didn't care for the OD channel at all.
    However the clean was quite nice. :D

13. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

Well, I really appreciate that .. But for now as I'm not into gigging and all, I just want best sound I can get within this budget, ready to face a bit of downside for that untill I save up for my next amp which I'll be getting soon. You think update could help on fixing the issue?

14. jds22

jds22 Member

I would be more concerned about a hardware failure so I can't see a software update helping.

15. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

oh ! if it is so then I'm a little worried. I'm getting one year warranty though but I think need to think over it again.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I can see why you'd feel that way. It's definitely a more modern, metal kind of sound. If you're looking for more of the old-school Marshall or Fender on 10, you won't get it there. However, it's a very similar amp to the Blackstar the OP is asking about and is pretty well suited to the sounds a guy named "metalwarrior" is probably looking for. Having owned the Blackstar HT-20 and the ValveKing 20, although they're very similar, I think the ValveKing is the better amp.

17. icarusi

icarusi Member

I haven't liked the voicing on most Blackstars. I have the HT5H, the ID100 and the Fly 3. The HT5H is good for mid-boost marshally sounds, but it's a little amp so I expect that sound. I expect more versatility in bigger amps, but so far haven't found it in BS bigger amps (other than the ID). I'd recommend trying it with the guitar you intend to use, in a big room at the level you want to use it.

18. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

Thank you, will definitely try to check one out.

19. metalwarrior

metalwarrior Member

Well thanks,, basically you are saying that I should not expect much from the bigger blackstar.

20. icarusi

icarusi Member

I'd be surprised if it sounded much different from the HT5, just louder. Quite a lot of fixed mid-boost (or mid forward) which you can't dial down. You can sometimes get more tones through with a pedal which has eq. I tried an 8-string recently and it sounded better through the clean channel. The OD channel was definitely strangling the bottom end of the 7 & 8 strings. I think it was a Blackstar. Amp makers often shelve the LF to tighten the sound but for 6+ strings I prefer more LF than for 6 strings, and even for 6 strings with some amps.