Peavey Valve King

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by burner, Mar 15, 2008.

1. burner

burner Member

I demoed some stuff at GC today and I have to say that I was somewhat impressed with the Peavey Valve King.
    Most of their stuff sounds good for what it is but I didn't really have any preconceived notion about the VK....in fact, I though it wouldn't sound as good as it did.

The clean channel isn't really "Fendery" but reminded me of a Matchless I played on.
    It would break up nice but it wasn't quite as warm as I would have liked.I'm sure a simple correct bias job would fix that some.
    Regardless,I thought it sounded good.

The drive channel sounded good as well...
    The GC salesman was all over me like a cheap suit so I didn't spend as much time with it as I wanted to and I had other stuff to try out, so I didn't get a full handle on the dynamic range of the drive.
    It seemed to clean up well but I don't think it was as good in that regard as the Fender Super Sonic which I have deemed to be about the best at this.
    I was able to coax great blues tones from the drive channel as well as good passable metal sounds.
    Really tight sounding for that style and not overly 'gainy' like some are.
    At max 'scoop' it could have been a touch more notched because some like that but I thought it was just right.It had enough mid content to project.
    For blues leads I though it might have been a little bit constipated but some tweaking might fix that and it wasn't overly so.

The class AB/A knob on the back was interesting too, it actually seemed very useable.It is supposed to not only switch from AB to A but blend both in between.I'm sure it's more marketing hype because I don't think it actually changes the class of operation but as I said, it seemed very workable.
    When I get another chance to play with it, I'll tweak on that knob to see how the clean channel's breakup responds to it.

The 2x12" 100w combo was priced $619 and the 4x12 half-stack was priced $899 which I thought was a darned good deal!

So how about it....any love for the VK here?

2. burner

burner Member

Just as a point of reference I should mention that I demo'd it with a Jimmy Vaughn Strat.
    I chose that one because I play a maple fretboard Strat with Texas Specials.

I also thought both channels were dark but not overly so as you apparently did.
    The 'darkness' of the clean channel is why I equated it to a Matchless I played rather than the typical Fender sound.Not bad, just different, iMO.

Also I agree that the bright switch was a bit too much so in a case like you describe there would be no "in-between" without modification.
    I particularly liked the #2 Strat position's tone with the clean channel.

All in all I thought it was a great sounding amp and definitely a good bargin.

3. 5E3

5E3 Member

I watched prices on the VK for a while, was thinking of buying one. IMO, you can save a fair amount of cash if you buy used.

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I bought Mine the day after Thanksgiving with a 20% off coupon. Came up to around $370 something.

5. dunara

dunara Member

We bought two at the College where I teach. Very good sounding amps indeed - a big step - up from the classic 30s we'd bought previously. I'll be keeping an eye on them re. reliability - an issue which let the C30s down badly. Amps are hammered really hard in the College practice rooms - if they can survive here, they can survive anywhere.