1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

peavey valveking clips (slayer, satriani, metallica...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cobrahead1030, Sep 29, 2005.

1. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

fairly simple setup here, i tried to record a few simple clips to give you guys a clear/honest listen to the amp...all recorded using my ltd ec300 (duncan jb and andseron h1), and a single sm-57

first we have slayer: http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-slayermask.mp3
    this is just the combo, 57 just off-center...this is the using the lead channel with the boost engaged; volume, gain, bass, mid, and treble are ALL set to noon exactly...the first guitar you hear coming in uses the hi gain input (left channel i believe) the 2nd guitar you'll hear is using the low gain input...resonance set to tight

then a little satch melody:
    http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-summersatch.mp3
    same mic setup as the last clip...for this one i backed the treble off a bit, and upped the mids and gain some; using the hi gain input on this one...resonance set to loose

some old school metallica clean clippage: http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-ktuluclean.mp3
    same mic setup again on this one...using my neck pickup here...bright swetch engaged, bass @ noon, mids around 10:00, treble around 10:00, volume around 11:00, low gain input here...resonance set to loose, reverb around 9:30

and here's a bit of my own riffing: http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead-VK-custombuilt.mp3
    i ran the combo into my earcandy cab for this one, mic'd the governer just off-center...gain around noon, bass @ 9:30, mids @ noon, treble @ 11:00...low gain input, boost switch engaged...volume right around noon

any/all feedback is welcome ;)

i didn't get to spend as much time with the amp in the studio as i would've liked, but i think these clips do an ok job of representing it...the first 3 really let that open-back treble come thru, a lot moreso than you hear in the room with the amp (i've never really dug open backs, so i'm not particularly fond of how this one mics up...i can see a closed back ext. cab for this amp in the future)

i also have my mic and stuff here at home now...so i'll try to get a few more clips by the weekend, gonna do some lower gain stuff and experiment with some lower ouput PU's and single coils as well...i kinda stuck to the hi gain stuff here b/c a lot of people have wondered if it has enough gain for heavier stuff...it does :)

2. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Very nice indeed, Peavey products are awesome. High gain tones such as that are not really my thing, but for such value, that is brilliant.

Actually, the high end was a little fizzy for my taste, but I'm sure it could be fixed with an EQ pedal.

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

NICE CLIPS . . . . . . for the money I can't imagine a better med-high gain combo.

4. LaXu

LaXu Member

Thanks for the clips! The distorted tones sound a bit too nasal for my tastes but I really like the clean sound. Sounds like it has a pretty nice reverb too.

5. AHB900

AHB900 Guest

Hey cobra i have a question about the valve king do you think its loud enough to gig with do you think its high quality will it last me long? i am considering buying it and i am saveing up but ive read a few reviews that said that its not even close to being as loud as other 50watt tube amps and thats kinda making me change my mind. and i dont really wanna spend anymore money on an amp then this and it just seems to good to be true.

6. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

it's kinda hard for me to say...keep in mind now, i've never gigged with anything less than a 100w head on a 4x12 cab...but even so, if it were elevated off the ground where i could hear it a bit, i think in a pinch i could get thru a gig with the combo, if i had my handy 4x12 to run it through i wouldn't sweat it...it isn't quite as loud as some 50w amps i've played, but that's not to say it can't get pretty loud

as far as whether it would hold up depends on how your gear is treated...if you have a really hectic gigging schedule, and the amp is prone to being thrown around a lot, then i'd say it probably wouldn't last too long under such conditions...if you're just an occasional player, who can treat his gear well, then i think it should do pretty well

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

oooooohhh nnnooo, I ordered mine from MF yesterday at the old price ( 349) and got an email saying they won't ship until the 17th. ****. I do know of 2 places that have them on the floor though. We'll see who wins, GAS or Paitence.

8. AHB900

AHB900 Guest

one more question cobra does the valve king come with a foot switch?

9. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

mine didn't, but perhaps they're supposed to? i've got a few spare footswitches lying about anyhow, i'm sure one of them will work with it

10. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

How noisy is yours? I finally found one today at a local store, and I was quite pleased with the tone, but it hummed rather a lot when I wasn't playing. It certainly could've been a power problem in the store, but I just wasn't sure, and it was enough to keep me from buying it right then...so, is yours noisy?

11. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Nice clips! My singer/ fellow guitarist is looking at an amp to replace his Peavey Classic 30. He was actually asking me about the Valveking and now I can give him the thumbs up. That sounds really great for the money!

12. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

mine's not terribly noisey at all really, i can crank the gain up pretty high without much hiss coming through...it is an abnormally picky amp when it comes to power outlets tho, in my room it does have a noticeable buzz when plugged in, but at other places i've played the amp it's dead silent

13. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

Thanks for the info - I suspected the power...

14. billrost

billrost Guest

Can you try a get a southern rock vibe out of it? From your clips it sounds like the hard rock thing is easy to get but how about blues, classic rock? Please post some clips if you can. thanks

15. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

my recording gear is kinda tied up atm (my band is doing guitar and vocal tracks at our studio right now, so all my mics are being put to work) i do plan on doing some zeppelin and srv (maybe some skynyrd too :D ) clips when i get a chance

can't say when that will be tho...probably toward the end of the month at the soonest

it does low gain/bluesy tones pretty good i think...but i'm not a great blues player by any means, so take that opinion with grain of salt if you will

the medium gain tones (like "3 steps" ish kinda stuff) i think it does really well, probably not quite up to par with the classic series on that one...but it can hold it's own IMO

i'm starting to warm up to this stock speaker a bit, low end is a bit muddy for rhythm playing...but for leads it brings on the midrange growl of the combo nicely; i tried playing the combo thru my marshall cab, and i really missed that aspect of the stock speaker (the gt75's in my marshall aren't mid-heavy speakers at all)