Peavey ValveKing II series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HawkeyeKane, Sep 27, 2013.

1. elvezrulz

elvezrulz Member

Wow, I thought just the opposite. I guess that's what make the world go around. :)

2. Evo5150

Evo5150 Senior Member

Tone is subjective. I owned an original VK100 as well, so I'm not completely new to the line. My tastes just changed, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Teobeck

Teobeck Member

I'm old player who gigs out regularly, playing Blues, R&B, funk and classic rock. I wanted something lighter than my Rivera Clubster 25 1X10, and since I have a 23 lb. cab with Red Fang (efficient), I bought this micro head because clean channel can be dialed in very blackface. I played it at 2 gigs with drummer and bass, and it has sufficient headroom on clean channel, so I kept it. My Tone Press pedal sounds great through it, and gain channel is OK when needed.

I got a 15" Husky toolbag for carry case ($16) at home depot, which fits perfect.

4. jds22

jds22 Member

I couldn't take it any longer. I pulled the trigger on the 50 combo.

I'll be out of town on business when it arrives but I have a feeling my son will put it thru it's paces before I get home.

Has anybody switched out the stock speaker in these? I'll give it some time to break in but I have an Emi Wizard that I'd like to put in there.

5. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Yes, I tried a Jensen Jet "Electric Lightning" an Eminence Legend GB12 and a Celestion G12-70... They were all better than the stock, but surprisingly not dramatically better. The GB12 is the best of the 3 I tried.

6. jds22

jds22 Member

Thanks for the reply and hello from Jacksonville, IL.

:dude

7. still.ill

still.ill Member

Damn that 20 minute demo of the Peavey VK II 20 Combo is sick---- appropriate as well.

only 2 pounds heavier than the Mustang III (which I had been considering, as an upgrade from a Mustang II, but this seems to be a lot more of an upgrade)
    and also has USB out!!!

and the dirt channel doesn't seem to be fizzy at all in premier guitar demo (6:20)

Hope someone who can get this amp sooner chimes in

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  8. Kennyinct

Kennyinct Supporting Member

Jds22, how do like the 50 watt combo? I am tempted to pull the trigger on one of these myself.

9. gdemo

gdemo Member

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. JonnyFranchi$e

JonnyFranchi$e Member

Hey I just wanted to chime in here.

I just got my Valveking II 20w combo a couple weeks ago and I love it.

I kinda liked the head version but it didn’t have the independent 3-band EQ for both channels and I really wanted that.

The combo is oversized which I think is good sonically, but even though it’s all open back it’s pretty heavy for a 20watt 112 combo. (I’m used to my Pro Junior though).

It sounds really good for me. I’m on a super tight budget and this gives me some real versatility for my basement studio and I got a decent deal on it.

At first I hated the direct out sound (I’ve never heard one I liked yet) but running it into a tube pre-amp boosted the signal and livened it up. For pure sound I still prefer the sound of a mic’d speaker – probably always will – but it’s a nice feature, and sounds OK for the cleaner stuff (drive channel sounded “fizzy" through the direct out). I recorded some funky clean stuff last night with everyone sleeping and it sounds OK for what I was doing – and I LOVE being able to work on the music in the wee hours – the magic time for musical inspiration.

I’m not a big high gain guy but I find the drive channel very usable for those rare instances. And running it direct was the only time it was anything other than beefy and delicious. And I agree that you need the boost – I keep it on all the time.

The built in attenuator works great for that overdriven clean channel rhythm sound. Tons of usable tones with the EQs and the two channels.

Eventually I’ll probably try a speaker upgrade but it really sounds pretty decent to me as is.

It has less of it’s own “character” than other amps (esp the Junior)… Rather than dictating its sound to me, the Peavey takes what I give it and amplifies it in a really useful, tweakable way – takes pedals well and does what I ask it to do.

I run it in tandem with a Fender Super Champ head into a Weber AlNiCo Blue Pup – so the Peavey covers the EL84 graininess and the Super Champ’s clean channel has some nice 6v6 smoothness.

Together the 2-amp combo sounds really good and is quite versatile for my hobby studio. So with these two amps I have a very usable pair for very little cost.

I’m not a big amp flipper – Had my Pro Junior as my sole studio amp for more than 10 years – then just needed something more versatile/needed a change…I think the Valveking will stick around for quite some time.

11. elvezrulz

elvezrulz Member

How much did you have to pay for it?

12. The Funk

The Funk Member

I tried these at guitar center a few weeks ago.

They sound good. To me Peavey always sounds good, but generic. Theres a sort of....lack of depth to the sound. Maybe its a feel thing. I played the 20 watt and 50 watt back to back with a Boogie Mk III combo, and the Boogie felt a lot more....alive and present.

I wouldn't trade my LSS for one, but thats a $1900 amp vs a $400-$600 amp. Feature-wise they are incredibly packed. I'd love to play one back to back with an Egnater Rebel MkII, which is probably the only other amp with as rich a feature set.

13. still.ill

still.ill Member

Got one for christmas recently.

I agree with the other reviewers who disliked the gain channel, its a very solid-statey gain, reminds me of the fender frontman 15 i used to have. Then again I've felt this way about most other two channel amps I've played, my Barber Compact Direct Drive into a clean amp just sounds better especially at lower volumes.

However, the clean channel with my barber cdd is great, much more alive sounding than my mustang II+barber cdd. and this thing gets loud! For the $550 price point though, I guess its pretty good.

14. downsouth1221

downsouth1221 Member

Sorry to revive an almost dead thread, but being that the amp is still available I'll chime in with my opinions.
    So first and foremost there are really only a couple issues that I have found with the amp. First I keep mine turned all the way to a/b setting and the tight/loose knob I keep all the way loose. I keep the bright switch engaged, and I only the play channel one. I feel like the when the speaker was new it was pretty good, girthy lows that didn't flub and pleasing presence that wasn't over the top. As the speaker has broken in I feel like the lows have gotten a little flubby, and the presence has gotten a little much and I even get a lil cone cry on upper registers when its being driven hard. I've also found that when I switch the wattage selection from full on to anything lower, if I do it on the fly while the amp is on then after a while 20-30 mins the one of the tube lights start to turn red when strumming and you get a sound like the amp is dying. If you put it on a lower wattage selection when the amp is cold then turn it on it seems to do better. I also feel like its not that loud for 50 watts, sounds much bigger than my blues Jr, but it doesn't seem marshal stack 50 watt loud. Feel like that may stem from the a->a/b and dampening circuits added in. Overall cleans are OK, not fender good, drive is OK, not marshal good. Feel like its an in between of the fender hrdx nice cleans, and the marshal 40c decent drive. Decent amp if u get it on sale. If I had it to do over again I think I would have gotten somethin different, but I'm not disappointed in the amp, and don't feel like getting rid of it yet. Prolly will try another speaker and see what happens.

15. HawkeyeKane

HawkeyeKane Member

Anyone else kinda wish they'd bring the Royal 8 back to the series?

16. icarusi

icarusi Member

I just got the VK2 100w head on a price reduction. So far so good. Has some obvious budget areas like thin casing, quite shallow height and no batten at the top rear. Hope it's a ply top, although relatively light weight. The A>A/B and resonance knobs seem less obvious in sound than on a Windsor. Half-on the A>A/B has a drop in level so better to stay off 12 o'clock, still less difference between the extremes than the Windsor (so far).

Clean channel sounds good but suspiciously low level for 100w. Don't know how much headroom they're allowing. The 100/5/25w switch is silent in action so you can switch it whilst playing. The white chicken heads are very visible but not the black-on-black button switches. If the chicken head points face the buttons, pressing the button can foul the knobs. F/s can avoid most of that, but not included. Reverb is more of a spring emulator than a 'room' variant, so not transparent at higher settings.

Seems to sound quite different with different guitars but has enough eq to be usable, although can seem bass light for some guitars and fine for others. Seems to natively inhabit the classic rock and higher gain variants rather than blues or metal, although you can get blues sounds and less scooped metal sounds once off the centre sounds. More in the Laney, Orange, Matamp tone than signature Marshall or Fender. Got the amp mainly for the 6L6s, I have EL34 or EL84 amps. Also included a (free) AT-200 guitar, which is good, but not at $500.

The more amps I try, the more I think you need to match them to guitars and speakers. Not every combination will work ideally.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015