Peavey VK 112 with Hot Plate, help.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by akihiro, Oct 7, 2008.

1. akihiro

akihiro Member

So I have a Peavey VK 112 combo amp and I was wondering if it's possible to use the THD Hot Plate with it. I've heard that with combo amps there's a small cable connected to the speakers that would be taken out and pluged into the hot plate...my peavey doesn't have that.
    Any suggestions of how to connect it?

Thanks

2. skipm45

skipm45 Member

Do you have a speaker jack on the amp that the speaker plugs in to?
    If yes, it's easy. A cable goes from the speaker jack to the hot plate input. The hot plate output goes to the speaker.

If ther is no jack you will need to (a) install one in the chassis and cable as described above, or (b) cut the wires going to the speaker and install a jack in the wiring from the amp, plug a cable into the jack and run to the hot plate, run a cable from the hot plate to the speaker

HTH

Skip
    www.skipzcircuits.com

3. akihiro

akihiro Member

Thanks for the help!
    Any idea how much it would cost to take to a shop to get any of the installations done?

4. brett s

brett s Member

Using an attenuator with a relatively high gain amp like the VK will probably be rather disappointing, it's all about preamp gain on those things.

Rather than installing a jack, if you're really determined to try this you can just make or buy an adapter cord - Ted Weber sells one.

5. akihiro

akihiro Member

Yea, I was thinking about that cause it does have lots of gain, a bit too much.
    Thanks for the advice

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Maybe but you dont have to run a high gain MV amp with the gain turn up and MV down. Ive got all high gain MV amps. In every case I can get a "cranked amp" sound out of them by simply turning the MV all the way up and slowly bring the gain up.Not sure how the VK reacts to using it like a NMV amp but my Peaveys(Ultra ,Ultra Plus) react nicely! During those times I wish I had attenuation of some sort. It gets loud.lol! Bob