Peavey vs. Fender OT's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by IM4Tone, May 3, 2016.

1. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

I've always wondered why the more modern Fender tube amps are commonly designed around an 8/4 ohm OT and the Peaveys (classic series in particular) more so designed around 16/8 ohm OT. Does anyone have insight as to the reasoning behind this? Is it a technical reason or just designer's choice?

I like to sometimes use extension cabs with combos and having started accumulating 8 ohm cabs to use with my Fenders, it's caused me to pass on the Delta Blues which I've had an interest for some time.

Please stick to matched impedance discussions, unless you believe mismatches to be the driving force.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

Fenders historically had 8/4 taps. That's the only reason I can think of. Volume manufactures probably save a couple of bucks per unit by going with only twp taps instead of 3. There's really no reason an amp shouldn't have a 16/8/4 tap.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Many big old Fenders have only one tap. :)

zenas likes this.