Peavey VTM 4x12 cabinets, what do you think of them?

GrecoVee

Hey Guys,
Anyone own one of the older 4x12's that Peavey made to match up with the VTM and Butcher series amps? You know, the cabs with the giant black metal corners like the heads had.
What did they have for speakers? I've heard Celestions.
What's the cab made of?, mostly Plywood or Partical board?
Good tone?,...Thanks!

Cheap cabs rule. If you can get it for like $100, then that's great. You'll have something to beat around that you don't have to worry to much about.

GrecoVee

Can't get it for $100. I'm looking at two slant cabs that I can get for $200. a piece.
Might pick them both up if I could get a little info. on them.

JerryP

The earlier VTM cabs that matched the amps had Celestion speakers and were nice cabs. Plywood, not particle board.
Jerry

Derelict

mine is a later model that came loaded with sheffield 1200s (yuck). anyway, plywood as stated earlier, and built like a darn tank.

golddillion

Silver Supporting Member
If the cabs you are looking at have the speakers loaded from inside the cabs (like Marshall), then they are made out of plywood and came loaded with Celestion G12K85 speakers. Very nicely built cabinets, the tolex is nearly indestructible! I just got one, and would like to try some Scumbacks in it.

GrecoVee

If the cabs you are looking at have the speakers loaded from inside the cabs (like Marshall), then they are made out of plywood and came loaded with Celestion G12K85 speakers. Very nicely built cabinets, the tolex is nearly indestructible! I just got one, and would like to try some Scumbacks in it.

Yes, these are the one's loaded from the back, like I said, they're the ones with the ex-large black metal corner just like the VTM's and Butcher heads had. Thanks for the info.!

JDW3

They are heavy duty for sure, but will never sound like a Marshall cab.

I bought a '70s Marshall 4x12 for the speakers (tore up, no grill), then installed them in the Peavey cab. The heavier cab does not have the same resonance. The Marshall cab sounded killer.

So now I have to retolex the damn thing.....:puh

Trending Topics

Top Bottom