• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Peavey Vypr amps

GuitarGuy3

Anybody have experience with these amps? I'm looking for a practice amp with good sound and effects. The reviews seem to be decent but I'd like to get unfiltered opinions. I haven't thought about Peavey since I started playing guitar.

i LOVE them. i have a 15 watt that i bring to work with me and it sounds great.. I also have a 75 watt one that i bought years ago before my 5153 100 watt..

ur gonna get a bunch of haters here, but go and check the out yourself because its a great bang for the buck.

+3kk!

i tested one, they are very good esp for the new VIP 2 series where you can play bass on it.

that being said a word of caution, the amp is feels cheaply made and the system is full digital or computerized. which theres like a split second "load time" from one patch to another and is not entirely as responsive as some other modelling amps.

VIP2 is on my radar for an all in one practice amp. Crazy value for the options you get, and I actually think it sounds good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I had one about 4 years ago (not the same as the current model). It was 75W. I sold it after getting tube amps and pedals etc, but I should have kept it. It was quite decent overall, but I loved its rotary effect, and have yet to find a pedal that has that sound. Funny how that works!

thosk

Had a V15 briefly a few years ago. I say briefly as half of the amp models went dead within the first 30 days and it totally expired a couple weeks later. It had lots of knobs and cool flashing lights, tho(for a while, anyway).

I'd look at the hybrid Super Champ XD or X2, or even the all digital Mustang series. Better quality and much better tone, IMO.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
I have the original Vypyr 60 (12ax7 tube PI and 6L6 power tubes). I've used it for a few gigs and it worked fine. Some of the effects are excellent (flanger, chorus, filter, compressor), and some are worthless (inverter/reverser). Plenty of power in the amp. Peavey's TransTube analog technology is pretty decent. For what it is, it plays okay.

They are a modeling amp series. As such, I have found while that their models are not necessarily what one would consider to be "spot on", they do provide you with an excellent set of tools to draw on. For example, their "plexi" model may not be a great model of a Marshall Plexi, it is still in the same room. Once I got past the "that doesn't sound like my Plexi did" stage, I was able to get some good sounds out of the amp. The Vypyr can "do" metal, classic (my genre), and some very good cleans. The only sound that I don't like is what passes for onset of breakup. On both of my Mesas, that is a very good and doable tone. On the Vypyr, it is doable, but I never could get a good (pick) attack response like I could off the Mesas.

Would I take it over either of my Mesas? No. But, for the price point, it cannot be beat as a decent practice amp.

HawkeyeKane

I recommend them. I used a Vypyr 15 for several years to play harp through and got great results. The effects and models might not be quite as good as say a Roland Cube, but they still hit really close to the mark. With some work, I was even able to mount a 12" bass amp speaker in mine and that REALLY opened it up. I'm probably gonna look into one of the Nano Vypyrs soon for a portable rig.

IM4Tone

I owned a 75 watt Vypyr for around a year and sold it approximately 2 to 2-1/2 years ago. It was one of the first generations. I had the Sanpera I footswitch to go with it. It did not work well for my needs.

Theoretically, it appeared to be perfect for what I had intended...playing live in a group that did a wide variety of cover songs. Many amp models...some were great and some OK but not spectacular. Lots of great effects on board. My idea was to use this unit stand alone (w/ the Sanpera I) and not have to use a pedal board full of effects. (Why would one want pedals with this type of unit if it functioned properly???)

The problem was in the 'live' performance. Being essentially computer controlled, it would lock up (like some of the older generation desktop computers) and the remedy was to re-boot (turn it off, then back on). Sometimes this required multiple re-boots. It always happened when either changing models or effects on-the-fly in the middle of a song. It was all too easy to accidently hit two of the Sanpera's buttons which was another function. Also, there was latency in switching which was annoying (probably only 1/2 second, but still noticeable).

The new generations are probably somewhat better, but latency will always exist and I don't think the functionality of the Sanpera has changed, so utmost coordination is still required.

For home use and recording, it would have been fine....a large selection of models and effects ranging from decent to excellent. Not a 'show stopper' if it locks up or you fat-foot it. For live use where you want to change on-the-fly during a song, it is problematic.

I don't record and prefer to practice with the same outfit that I'll be using live, so it had to go. Back to single or dual channel tube amps and several single function pedals.

HTH

Trending Topics

Top Bottom