Peavey Windsor Head Whats everyones thoughs on this one, is this a $400 Marshall?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nick f, Jan 21, 2012.

1. nick f

nick f Member

I'm in the market for that Marshall distorsion ton, I am boneified Iron Maiden fanboy and I'm looking to see if this head can achieve that maiden tone without the $1500 price tag, also does this amp play nice at lower volumes. I mean I cant crank a 100w head in my basement with the family upstairs.

So.......
    1) I play mostly Maiden Metallica (mostly older stuff), Priest, some AIC, Green Day, etc
    2) 90% home player, studio 1-2 times a month, but I rarely take my amps.

Thanks

Nick F.

2. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I had one... bought a '73 Super Lead and there was no comparison... the Marshall sounded WAY better.

It is a MV amp, so depending on what's an acceptable db level for the rest of your house, it might do. I wouldn't pay $400 for one, though... I see them on ATL's CL fairly often. Used you should be able to find one for $200-$250.

3. saf_1

saf_1 Member

From what I've heard of them, the answer to that would be a big, no. If you want Marshall, go out and find yourself a good used DSL 50 head, for anywhere from $500 - $700. You'll be a lot happier in the long run.

4. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

Class 5, TS9, and an SD1 will yield the Marshall tone you're looking for.

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Used to own one. HATED IT! Very plastic sounding, one dimensional, FLAT amp. Zero dynamics, harmonics, or life for that matter. Gave it to a friend of mine. Killer player who makes just about anything sound good. He hated it as well and he's a Marshall - Hiwatt guy through and through. Seriously look elsewhere if you're looking for the definitive Marshall tone. NOT happening in this amp for sure.

:)

6. drewl

drewl Member

Find an old big ugly Peavey Butcher and try it.....it's a 2203 with 6L6's.
    Butt ugly though.

7. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

You can prolly find a JCM 900 50 watt in the $400 range used.

8. nick f

nick f Member

Thanks everyone for your replies, too bad I just can run down to GC and play one, I have never seen one in person yet, only YT demos and from them they sound 90% Marshall, I'm willing to sacrifice that 10%, and yes there is one on my local CL for $220

9. JKjr

JKjr Member

Just say no. I turn knobs pretty good and can usually find a decent sound on just about any gear. Not so here. As stated earlier a flat and one dimensional tone, no dynamics, just plain dead sounding. I'm not a sniffer, I have other Peavey gear, but if it looks like a pig...

10. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

For Marshally tones you described for under $400 believe it or not a Crate Stealth.

11. Cussion

Cussion Member

I've got one which was re-built/modified by a guy here in Sweden. It's basically a 100 watt Marshall 'master volume' circuit (JMP/JCM800) now. I own a 2203 JCM800 and the Windsor sounds just as good, but is way more flexible/tweakable. I had a 72 50w Marshall 'Bass' which I sold to buy this amp. Keep in mind, it's nothing like the originals.

12. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Nick - did it ever occur to you that there might be a REASON why you can pick these heads up all over, for 200 bucks a pop? There is such a thing as a bargain - and there is also such a thing as a dog. I'll give you a hint here: the Windsor does not fall into the "bargain" category.

13. tjauernig

tjauernig Member

the windsor is a 100 watt el34 5E3 basically. I modded many of these when I worked at Peavey. The "very poor man's Marshall." There are all sorts of used Marshalls to be had at fair prices, get one of those

14. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

A clever description indeed. But it well denotes the incredible lack of headroom these amps have.
    Not sure how well the PCB will take to modding.....and do you really want a 4 x EL34 amp.?
    Good Luck

15. KWCabs

KWCabs Member

I just after picking one of these up because I thought it might have a cool tone from some stuff I heard. What did I learn from the experience????

I bought the head and the 4x12 cab for a verrrrry small price. Now why the cab?, it was included in the deal. Yes I make cabinets for a living, but figured, hey at this price either I can keep it at a rehearsal space or get rid of it if it is that bad.

Here's the thing, so many people are buying this head because they think it is supposed to be a Marshall clone. Why do they think this?? Is is the gold face plate or something?? Peavey never designed it to be a Marshall clone, they were going for a combination of tones from the 60s&70s. Namely an amp that sounded like a Marshall, Vox, and Hiwatt all put together and with a little of their own sound in it as well. Did they succeed? Absolutely. This head has some great rock tones in it as well as being able to do some metal stuff real well too. Does it sound like a Marshall.....a little, but not totally. It has the gain structure of a Marshall, the dynamics of a Hiwatt, and when turned to the "class a" side it gets the Vox loose "fizz" to it a bit too. It's one of the tightest sounding amps outside of the metal world that I've heard too.

Now, where's the problem. The speaker cabinet doesn't sound great with this combination. I mean if you're just looking for a 4x12 with decent build quality then it's not bad at all, especially for the price, but the speakers they designed for this thing do NOT do it at all, at least not with this amp. They're harsh, spikey, very trebbly, all in all not great. Plug it into a decent cabinet though with good drivers and it smoothes out wonderfully. If you need an extra cabinet, then for the price it's hard to beat, hell even if you take the speakers out and put new ones in you'll still be under 1/2 what most companies are charging new.

As for mods, put some decent replacement tubes in it and it sings and smoothes out even more. New cabinet (or maybe just drivers) new tubes, and the amp sounds twice as good. Frankly, I don't think you can find more amp for your money on the market. I have $4000 amps and cheaper ones and this one at just 2 or 3 hundred used on ebay or the like is an incredible value and well worth it (even if it's just for a backup amp).

Now, that's for gain. In terms of clean, it's not in there, so that sort of sucks. You can set it up with minimum gain and open the master but the gain sound never totally goes away. I actually find it easier to get cleans with the gain set somewhere in the middle and roll off your guitar (if it retains highs well) and you can get an ok Marshally sounding clean. This is the one area I'm thinking of playing around with an actual mod on, I might try to add a second (clean) channel to the amp that adds another tube retains the same eq and rest of chain but takes the gain stack out. We'll see.

I haven't used the loop for anything yet, so I can't say about that. The headshell is built as well as any other tolex covered box on the market. The transformers have decent mass (the heads actually fairly weighty). Overall, I have no idea how products like this can be made and sold so cheaply!!

16. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

A friend brought me one of these heads that died on him---- fault in the bias circuit that ruined all the output tubes---- but one look inside this thing convinced me that these must be the most cheaply made/biggest pieces of junk that anyone has ever tried to pass off as a tube guitar amp.
    I refused to work on it and had him take it to the local warranty repair shop (amp was under warranty)---- it was repaired---- that shop hugely overcharged him for the replacement quad of output tubes.
    the transformers might be ok (or good enough) to gut out the board and build another circuit into the thing--- with a turret board and standard-type pots---- parts/construction that will last many, many yrs.
    Did I mention that i think that these amps are worthless pieces of junk ? Ok, i guess i did..........................gldtp99

17. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Im a knob tweaker that has HAD to get tones out of cheaper amps in the past because I simply could not afford any high dollar amps. I personally couldn't get any usable tone out of this amp.

Whoever said Crate stealth... your absolutely right! Those things blew me away! People around my area are starting to realize this and they have vanished from the used gear sections in music stores very quickly and never came back.

18. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

Arrived here curious about tgp opinions on the Windsor...but have to second the Stealth. Got ahold of mine in 1995 and haven't let go. I've put JJ tubes in it and have been running it thru a variety of speakers lately...just keeps shining.

19. germs

germs Member

I'm gonna throw out another good review on the Windsor.

definitely NOT one of Peavey's more popular amps, but very under rated.

i owned one and gigged it extensively with my band for about a year. i used it in an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 w/ V30's. it really sounded good for what i needed out of it: a single channel rock amp.

sort of Marshall-y, sort of Vox-y, but had it's own vibe.

yeah, they're cheap. but that's the initial attraction: 100w tube in a cheap box!

anyway, don't discount them. they're definitely a one trick pony, but it's a good trick.

20. dughaze

dughaze Member

Look for a used Made in USA Crate V30H. I think I like it better than the Crate Stealth but that's a good choice too.

Or a Peavey Classic 30, disconnect the internal speaker, and hook up your favorite 8 ohm Marshall compatible speaker cab.