Peavey windsor studio anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mister Mojo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

thoughts on the amp? sounds like it's a given to swap out the speaker and tubes from what i heard.

2. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Plugged into one at GC about 6 mos ago for a few minutes. Nothing to write home about there. The Windsor head sounds a little better than the Studio but doesn't do a whole lot. One channel, no reverb, doesn't clean up very well. Of course, critiquing a $299 amp is like complaining about the quality of the food at a $4.99 buffet in Atlantic City.

3. shaun

shaun Member

I like mine, alot. Did change the tubes and the speaker. Low watt ,alnico,speaker, or efficient ceramic, KT66 or E34L, and nos preamp 12ax7s. I think quality, new production preamp tubes would work, almost, equally as well. Lots of good tones,and very versatile!

4. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

what does it do good? i would plan on puting in a JJ E34L or Svetyana El34 and then a Phillips 5751 (to clean it up a bit) in V1 and a Mullard or JJ gold pin in V2. and put a Greenback G12M type speaker in there.

desired tones: at gig volume, no clean, only ever with minimal power tube top end crunch is how i would describe clean tone (Page playing "the rain song" or white summer live, and David Gilmour "echoes"). and for distorted tones, a pretty "woman" ish tone, very Cream Clapton-ish with a very good mix of power tube distortion and a little more preamp.

how does this take pedals? the only reason i havent already played one at GC is no one im my area (Sacramento! can you believe that, unless i am mistaken, let me know) has them. which is why i have you guys;):JAM

5. shaun

shaun Member

I tried a 12at7 and 5751, as well as a 6201 ,among others. Finally settled on 12AX7s, and play the low gain channel. Takes pedals well , sounds great ,and, is easy on the back,not to mention, the wallet ! Solid build with lots of features. Good luck !

6. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

This super-anticipated (because it got released 18 mos late!) amp got pretty badly butchered review-wise upon launch. Very few liked it, said it was thin, harsh, unmusical. But that was stock. Looks like mods are pretty kind to its tone. Everybody hated the stock speaker. But the concept with the built-in power soak and lo-impedance recording out and swapable power tube etc is brilliant.

7. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

Bumping thins one - how do people feel about the Peavey Winsdor Classic today?

The specs look like something I would really like to buy but the low price and debatable reviews scare me. Any new opinions?

8. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

bump on this question again

9. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

bump on the last post

10. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

bump again if anyone else would care to comment