Peavey Wolfgang Guitars... Looking for Input

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ronmail65, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I've always been curious about these guitars. Played one a long time ago and liked it. Considering picking one up on eBay.

What can you tell me about the 'Special' vs other models?

Any reviews or input on a possible purchase?

Ron

2. RickB

RickB Member

I picked up a standard brand new last year around this time. I had always wanted one and thought I missed my chance on a new one when they were discontinued. I found this one hanging in a store up and out of the way. I bought it on the spot. I have to say that it is more than I had hoped for and is a great guitar all around. The best online resource for Wolfgang's that I have found is: http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/ There are detailed descriptions of all the models on there that should answer your question. Prices on eBay seem to be down on them right now so it is a good time to buy if you are considering it.

3. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

I only really like the "high end" models, the "standard."

I strongly considered getting a Wolfgang about a year or 2 ago, but the trems never felt as solid as a real Floyd Rose or a regular Fender Strat trem. Also, Wolfgangs are kind of small guitars, they feel... "tight" to me with a smallish neck and body.

Nice guitars... decent but didn't really blow me away enough to pay near the $1,000 range.

4. ned911

ned911 Member

I play a Flame Top Special and love it. The D-Tuna works and I never really needed a floating trem. Body is very similar to an EBMM Axis but the pups are a touch hotter.

The Quilt Top Specials are MIK.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Considering the price it's hard to choose a Wolf over a PRS or the real thing...an EBMM Axis.

6. bullet69

bullet69 Member

as far as a player goes you can pick up a american special for about 500 and they are great playing guitars they are hard to beat for the price.

7. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I've owned 2 quilt top '97's, a Custom Shop Special and 2 production Standards. I judge most guitars against Hamer's because that's where I have the most experience. Wolfgang's are exceptionally well crafted, they play and sound great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I agree. I had a Special with the licensed Floyd. Well crafted instrument and cheap. I bought it used in mint condition for a about 500 and sold it in a GAS attack for the same. I'm sure I'd grab one again if the chance presented itself locally.

9. bullet69

bullet69 Member

i sold mine to and i still regret it. i will pick up another if the right deal comes along.

10. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I've had both the Standard and a Special. I liked the Special better than the Standard but both were decent guitars. I personally think an Axis is a better deal for the money, though...

11. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I have a Wolf Special EXP (Korean made model) and it's a great guitar. Bang-for-buck is incredible. The pickups are the same as in the US models, and are more versatile than you might think. You can always add a tone control if you want.

12. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I know...wiseass remark...couldn't help myself.

13. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

I've worked on a few. Like the necks, but on the last one, the hardware quality was a joke ( I think it was a Wolf "special", maybe USA made).

The Floyd bridge and nut were substantially softer metal than a real Floyd.

The strings actually put deep grooves into the nut :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/soapbarstrat/wolf_nut2.jpg

We wanted to get a new nut from Peavey, but I asked them for a harder one, so the same problem wouldn't happen again. The guy at Peavey said : " You don't want a nut made of really hard metal because it will cause the strings to break " .

Oh really ? Real floyd nuts are made of case hardened steel that's too hard for the strings to go putting grooves in, and I've yet to come across a string breaking problem on any of them.

So, we had to get a Gotoh locking nut, and I had to work like hell to mod it to fit the Peavey (had to grind top mount screw holes, and re-locate holes on the neck for it.)

14. bullet69

bullet69 Member

isnt that a common problem with all floyds that people over tighten the nuts and put grooves in them and then the strings slip causing tuning problems.

15. bullet69

bullet69 Member

JimiD is correct about the axis those are amazing guitars you cant go wrong with a MUSIC MAN guitar best quality in the buisness.

16. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

only the groove problem on the softer metal copy nuts.

17. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Those of you that mention the EBMM Axis - educate me. Is the one to look for just plain Axis? What is the difference with the Axis Super Sport?

18. thirdpole

thirdpole Member

The Axis has :

Floyd Rose Bridge - Locking Nut
    3 way switch
    Maple board

The Axis super sport has :

Regular nut
    5 way switch
    Choice of hardtail or vintage trem
    Choice of Rosewood or Maple board

Don't want to start a flame war ... but MusicMan guitars are amazing !

19. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Thanks for the info. I can feel GAS coming on...............

20. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

There are many rumors out there that EVH is due to release his Charvel Wolfgang very soon. I personally cannot wait to see it.

None of this is confirmed but from what I heard from friends at various guitar shops is that its supposedly going to be made in Mexico, with a flat top, the body and neck will be identical to the Peavey Wolfgang, and it may or may not have the scoop in the headstock.

You may also want to wait for the Pevey HP Sepcial EXP to come out in a few months. Supposedly priced around $450 - $500 and is supposed to have a near identical Wolfgang neck. Only thing I'm not to crazy about is the pickup configuration on the HP Special EXP. Going to be HSH and HSS. I prefer the HH configuration but I may pick one up anyway.