Peavey Wolfgang Project - need help with Floyd Trem Posts!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EVH~5150, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM.

1. EVH~5150

EVH~5150 Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I'm starting a new project with a USA Wolfgang Special "Deluxe" body and neck (parts mutt). I bought this black Peavey branded Floyd from a seller in Meridian, MS who supposedly got it straight from Peavey. It only came with the main unit (no posts, bushings, springs, or claw, etc). Does anyone know if these were also made by Gotoh? It feels like it's a high quality unit. It's obviously not a Wolfgang specific trem...but I thought it would be cool on this project. The problem I'm having is locating the tremolo posts...they are obviously smaller than a regular Floyd unit. The bushings appear to be installed in this body but I can't find any information on the correct sized posts that these tremolos require. Does anyone know where I can find a set? I've tried looking at all the obvious places.

BTW, the body will be re-finished by GMW in a similar black/cherry burst so the black hardware seemed like a better option than chrome to my eyes.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

monty likes this.
  2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

That sure looks like a Gotoh indeed. I think you can use the Gotoh with regular Floyd posts.
    Original Gotoh bushings are larger than standard Floyd bushings btw.

3. monty

monty Member

I'm on the Wolfgang Facebook group, there is a guy who seems to have a huge stash of Peavey WG parts. Derrick Cook or something. Maybe he can hook you up or at least give you a answer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    EVH~5150 likes this.
  4. EVH~5150

I'm sure the regular Floyd post would work at the pivot point, but the ones I have on hand won't begin to catch the threads in the bushing.

Yeah...I'm familiar with him. We exchanged a few messages when they were clearing out the PV warehouse. I don't think he works there any longer but I'll try to reach back out to him again.

monty likes this.
  5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Aha, maybe you need Gotoh posts. They're metric me thinks.

6. monty

monty Member

Cool, hope it works out for ya-nice looking body there.

EVH~5150 likes this.
  7. EVH~5150

Thanks!!!! I was debating having it re-topped with one of Lee's 5A specimens but this one doesn't seem too bad, does it? It looks a little weak under that factory stain but maybe with the right black shading it would pop a little more.

monty likes this.
  8. monty

monty Member

If it were mine, I'd happily leave it as it is (with a neck and hardware of course :))

EVH~5150 likes this.
  9. EVH~5150

Yeah, the more I stare at it, the more pleased I am with the grain. It's the law of diminishing returns...it will cost $500 for a new top, but how much better would it actually look...you know?! I think with a better stain it would look as nice as anything out there.

BTW, I think I discovered the posts that are required are the Gotoh 1996T style with an M8 size.

monty likes this.
  10. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Peavey didn't use Gotoh Floyds. They used a Gotoh copy. Made by Ping, I think.

EVH~5150 likes this.
  11. EVH~5150

Yeah, I think you're right. Isn't this the Ping logo?

[​IMG]

Moby Dick likes this.