Peavey Wolfgang?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by parkerbro, Jan 17, 2006.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

I've recently become aware of Peavey Wolfgang guitars. I've yet to play one but they seem great. Has anyone played one? How is the workmanship, electronics? Can a Peavey guitar really be good? thanks!

2. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Yes Peavey guitars can be good!!!!!
    I have several Wolfgangs because they all play great.
    The workmanship is great and the electronics are fantastic.

One of the best neck in guitar world history. Easy to play and fast.
    It's a very well designed guitar. No disappointments.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

+1

I owned a Flamed topped Standard model a while back. I could really play that thing well, shame I sold it a while back. The neck was awesome!

-Peace
    -Nate

4. Erik

Erik Member

I've got a USA special in amber flame that I just love.

5. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Just saw this thread, and I have a long story to share...

When the Peavey Wolfgang was first announced the thoughts I had were negative because I wasn't a fan of Peavey. I basically ignored the guitar. Then one day in a store (late 1998) I was just looking around, saw a Wolfgang Standard Stoptail on the wall and grabbed it quick to try it just for the heck of it. Well, I couldn't put it down. I didn't think I'd like it, but the neck felt so good in my hands. And the guitar in general was just the right size for me. I bought it that day and played it for years as my main guitar. I ended up selling it in 2002 because I wanted to "upgrade" to a Paul Reed Smith. And I ended up with a PRS CE22.

I played the PRS as my main guitar from 2003 to present day. But from day 1 when I got the PRS, I always missed the Wolfgang guitar, mainly because it was just more comfortable for me. And the craftmanship seemed the same. At first I just told myself that I was crazy because a PRS is much better than a Peavey. And I kept telling myself that. That is until until I couldn't stop thinking about swapping back and getting a Wolfgang Standard Stoptail back. After alot of time of going back and forth, I just recently bought a Wolfgang (through someone on this forum actually). Not sure what I'll do with the PRS. Might keep it, might sell it.

My point is that even though the Peavey name is not well known for top quality guitars, I for one think the Wolfgang is top quality. And just as important, I think it's super comfortable to play. That unfinished birdseye maple neck is great. As is the arched top body, and in my case I like the stop tail tune-o-matic bridge option. Many people without playing one, just dismiss it because it's Peavey. But no one should. One thing though... I'm specifically talking about the Wolfgang Standard models, as opposed to the Special models (at least the non-USA ones). The Standards have the unfinished birdseye maple necks and the arched tops. They may have added those options to the Specials since I last looked (while ago) but I know at one time that those weren't available with the Specials. Though they could be a lower budget alternative. Of course now Peavey only makes the HP (Hartley Peavey) model in the Wolfgang's place. Haven't played one, but they look good and heard good things about em.

Here's pics of my new Wolfgang Standard after some needed TLC (new bridge and a good neck cleaning). I'm very happy with it now :)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Had a a plain white Wolfgang Special. Excellent guitar. It fell out of the stable in a fit of GAS. My NEXT one WILL be a stop tail.

7. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

I owned a Wolfgang Std. Patent Pending model with the Peavey Floyd and couldn't bond with it. I really liked the tone of the guitar, but the arched top design and angle on the neck were a problem for me. I thought this was kinda odd considering I also played a LP Custom and a PRS Singlecut at the same time. Anyway, I sold the guitar....and eventually started to regret it...so I recently got a American made Special sunburst w/ the Floyd. The special has a flat top and a straight neck joint (more like a Fender, or the MM) and plays and sounds fantastic. If you are considering a wolfgang, I would say do not be afraid to get one of the US made Specials....I sure love mine!!

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I used to own one (Amber Carved top USA)... nice guitar, but I like the feel/sound of the EBMM Axis better.

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

The quality and construction on these is top notch. Great weight, excellent balance, very playable neck, and easily sets up with very low action. The neck on mine is extremely stable as well (New England climate changes).

My only caveat is the pickups; somewhat bright and agressive for my tastes. You could argue that's just what the guitar is, and you'd be right. I've often thought of putting something a little more PAF'ish in mine though.

/rick

10. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

"Peavey isn't known for the quality of their guitars."

I beg to differ.

The old T-60s were ugly as sin and sounded like crap, I admit, but they were built like tanks. The damn things were indestructible.

Hartley Peavey was, to my knowledge, the first guitar maker to use CNC technology to build guitars to the same specs, every single time. Think about what Fender and Gibby were producing in the '70s, and then compare it to a Peavey from the time. Comparatively speaking, the Peaveys were light years ahead in terms of having a consistent level of (pretty good) quality.

Fast forward thirty years. Peavey has made some damn fine guitars and amplifiers that don't get their due. The Vandenberg is one of them. I've got a '96 Custom Quilt Top that is just amazing in terms of playability, quality, and, yes, tone.

The Wolfgang is another great production guitar that's just horribly underrated. I honestly think that if Hartley started a deal with, say, Fender to build guitars in the Meridian MS plant and slap a Fender decal on the headstock, he could charge two or three times what he does for them.

11. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

A buddy of mine has an early Wolfgang in black/maple just like yours Monkmiles, but with the Peavey Floyd on it. He has quite a nice little collection of guitars (mostly shredder type) which include a bunch of custom USA Jacksons & Charvels. The Wolfgang is by far my fave of them all hands down. Granted, it's the most versatile of the bunch too and the least "shredder-esque", but it just feels like such a usable guitar that it's just plain fun to play. Occasionally I see some custom Wolfgangs pop up on fleaBay with different tops, woods, inlays, et cetera & they're all great looking. I think there's a rosewood topped Wolfie at the GC I go to & it's a beaut! Sadly out of my price range right now though.

Peavey really is quite an underdog and they've made some really top notch gear over the years that just flys under most player's radar. Heck, my very first guitar was a Peavey Falcon Custom (basically a Strat with a Khaler) and I still remember it being a nice playing & sounding little guitar. Late last year I bought a Peavey Valverb (tube spring-reverb/trem unit) from a TGP'er to go in front of my BMRI & it sounds absolutely fantastic. I was ready to buy a EH Holy Grail or even pony up for a Fender RI unit, but I def know I made the right choice. They also used to make a guitar in the early 90's called the Odyssey (LP-esque) that I still scour around for & hope to snatch one up super cheap one day.

12. boog204

boog204 Member

used to gig w/ a wolfie amber flamed stoptail... killer guit. like others have said, the pups are very bright and aggressive and unfortunately that is what caused me to sell it. however, i'd buy another stoptail wolfie in a heartbeat.

13. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

That's a huge understatement. Their stuff, especially lately, has been just flat-out cool. The new Hartley Peavey Signatures are amazing, and they're unbelievable when you consider the price point.

14. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Unfortunately people only remember the T-60 and have never tried a peavey since. The wolfgangs are great and there have been several others as well. The USA limited was a killer guitar as are the new signatures.

15. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Me boy "Angus" plays a Peavey "Wolfie".
    It's a hardtail in amber flame ( beyond a 10 top ).
    He's 12 and he won't let me "borrow" it! LOL!
    I've got tons of guitars and his Wolfgang always draws me in.
    Actually, he switches between the Wolfie and his PRS Swamper quite often.
    BTW, he just made the finals in the talent competition at Jr. Highschool playing the Peavey doing some ballad by Jett....?

16. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Congratulations for your boy. I can't wait until mine are old enough to rock out at the junior high battle of the bands :RoCkIn

17. eyesonly

eyesonly Member

:NUTSPeavey make cheap stuff. Nobody would look twice at a Wolfgang if it didn't say EVH on it.

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

They have an amazing crunch sound. Those pickups rock. If they made them a little bigger, I'd still own one. They're tiny like Music Man guitars.

19. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Actually they're very nice guitars on their own merit no matter what initials are on the headstock. Have you played one?

20. rocktuna

rocktuna Member

I used to own 5 USA Strats and a couple Les Pauls, then I bought a Wolfgang. I now own 0 Fenders 4 Wolfgangs and only kept my 73 Les Paul for nostalgia. The Wolfgang is by far the best guitar ever built. PERIOD
    A neck to die for. I've had my first Wolfgang for 10 years and never had to do a setup on it. Dual graphite rods keep it dead nuts.