• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Peavey XXX

Trip_phunk

So who knows the deal with these amps. I've played them a few times. Loved 'um. Heard some bad stories about reliability. Now I'm not sure peavey makes them anymore? Anyone know the lowdown on these?

Trip_phunk

So why were they discontinued? Played 3 of them now, and every one was unable to switch between crunch and ultra via footswitch. Thats no coincidence. Two of those amps, just up and quit in the middle of a song! Literally. I'm not here to trash talk about them. I actually love these amps. Plays like a boogie only a bit warmer and brighter. Breaks up sweet with my overdrive pedals. I'd love to think that I could use one to gig with all the time. But I haven't found one that I trust. Perhaps the bugs have been fixed and repackaged into the 3120, but thats not really
what I need. I'm into the 1x12 60 watt version.

Oh how I long for the peavey XXX.

Purplexi

One of the XXX channels is built into the JSX, the other two are from the Classic 50 and Ultra. I've never heard of reliability issues with Peavey but any amp can fail from misuse.

MGSchindel

You've obviously played used beaters, unfortunately, that someone broke, or that had worn out or bad tubes, or store demos that were abused and messed up by retarded customers. You also could have been dealing with a bad footswitch(s).

Do not worry! Source one in good shape with low mileage, demo it to make sure it functions right with no weird noises, retube it with fresh tubes so you know what you're dealing with, and you're off to the races.

I have two XXXs that have seen years of serious cranking and they are beasts. Real workhorses. No issues whatsoever for years. These amps are pretty bullet-proof, like the 5150/6505 amps. This is one of the few metal amps out there where you really don't need pedals to make it rip and scream. Tons of mean, tight gain.

We met up with Exodus when they came through Florida, and both Gary and Lee still have their trusty Peavey XXXs in the bottom of their head racks as backups for their newer Engl savages. Their personal Triple XXX's have recorded some of their newer albums, and the band toured the world for several years playing hundreds of shows with those amps, until they just switched to Engl.

Your bad experiences have just been coincidence or broken amps. If you like the XXX get one. It is no more or less reliable than any other good quality tube amp, and the trannys are tough as nails. They can be had used for cheap and I kinda like the tacky trucker girls ha ha!

xntrick

i've been considering this amp as i don't want to risk getting a Bugera..the Triple XXX is a good bargain but there is a part of my brain that wants the 3120 as it has an extra pre-amp tube

Trip_phunk

3120 is just more than I need. First of all, I don't own any cabs, all combos at the moment. And second, 120watts is just way more than I need. If peavey can put that in a 60watt 2x12 they might be able to sell me one.

Soothsayer

Silver Supporting Member
Isnt the XXX the amp the was originally a collaboration with George Lynch? Ive been tempted to pull the trigger on one of these.

Trip_phunk

Isnt the XXX the amp the was originally a collaboration with George Lynch? Ive been tempted to pull the trigger on one of these.
The xxx totally blows away most other tube amps in its price range. there has gotta be a reason peavey doesn't make them any more.

Top Bottom