Peavy Delta Blues, BLEW ME AWAY!! NICE!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 58lespaulman, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

This amp really has some awesome tones comming out of it. I couldn't stop playing. I like it better than my Blues Deville. The Cleans, and the Overdrive channel is awesome. Good job Peavy!!

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

2. songsmith1950

songsmith1950 Member

Had one for a while, may well have to have another.

Even price aside this amp sounds incredible for blues and for some country and soft rock. You can rock with it too, but I used pedals instead of the drive channel.

The 15 is a very wide range speaker and works incredibly well, especially after breakin.

Mods I did was only one on this amp. You can not remove two of the tubes in this amp to make it growl earlier. What I did was to clip all but the filament pins on one of the pairs, taking it down to about 15 to 18 watts. It really drove those EL84's beautifully then. Chime and then the milky type drive of a Vox.

Loved it, will have another sometime. Bang for the buck is outrageous in these things.

Tom

Songsmith

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I was just playing it again, and it blows away the Fender Blues DeVille 410. It has a very usable overdrive sound, which the fender does not have. Sweet is all I have to say. What about the Classic series (50/30)? Do they sound like the Delta Blues amps? I might just pick up one of them instead.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com

4. angelo

angelo Member

THe 50's are different.

THe 30's are (I think) the same pre / power combination. And they are cool too. But that 15" speaker in the Delta just rocks. I probably need one too, now that you mention it.

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

They are great amps. Just keep them cool.

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I like the Classic 50 the most of all of them. Great amp for sure. I like the HR Devilles cleans a lot more, but the PVs gain channel kills the fenders. Great amps!

7. BadJaxx

BadJaxx Member

i picked out a Delta Blues 1x15 for a friend a few years ago without ever trying one....thought it was a good choice for him....then i was pleasantly surprised when i tried it...better than i'd thought...and have consistently recommended it since....never heard the 2x10 version...probably also good with good speakers....but the 15 really puts out....
    i have an original Fender Blues Deluxe and prefer it, but agree that the Delta may be better for heavy OD...
    very nice tremolo on the Delta...

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For the money, it's unbeatable. Even money aside, this amp has something solid going for it. It's competitive tonally to much more expensive gear. I didn't care for the drive channel, but straight in, a little reverb, it has an open, appealing voice. If I were a gigging Pro, this would be my first choice.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The 30's & 50's are non-adjustable fixed bias. The 20's (or Delta Blues) are cathode-biased. Alot of happy Classic 30 customers, but from all the years I've owned mine, and all I've heard over the last 12 years, the Classic 50 410 seems to rise to the top. Well, that & the Delta Blues. People just love that little thing. Same amp as the Classic 20, which is no longer made. Also available with 2 10's, which people also like. Actually, alot of people who have the 1 15" Delta also have a 210 extension cab, and really love the combo.

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've never quite been able to get rid of my Delta Blues 1x15. It's a totally solid sounding amp and takes pedals very well. I like ti best driving the clean channel about up to "4", at which point I can feel the power tubes starting to kick in. But it's loud at that point. I prefer the sound of my Germino Classic 45 and Reeves Custom 6. I think they both sound way more open and have a complexity to the sound that the Peavey doesn't have. Still the Delta Blues is an amp that I've relied on for gigs and holds its own. For the money it's a great value. It's my backup amp right now, but always seems come back into the rotation now and again, if only briefly.

11. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

I retubed one for a friend one day and put a Tungsol NOS 12AY7 as the first preamp tube/ try it you wont be sorry/ NOS 12AY7's are easy to get and it transformed the amp from good to fantastic. Everyone who hears it is amazed /Try it because it's scary good for that amp!

12. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I have a 2x10 Delta Blues and it ROCKS! I've had all the cool amps.....this hangs, especially for the money. Can't beat it.

13. Jimmy James

Jimmy James Senior Member

I had one and stupidly sold it to a guy who kicks ass on it every Monday night just to rub it in my face.

I've done questionable things.

14. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    The Delta Blues and the Classic 20 are different, though similar amps.

The Delta Blues and the Classic 30 is the same amp, but with the addition of the trem circuit in the D.Blues.

I love my 1-15" Delta Blues. Gigged it hard for several years with no problems.

For re-tubing, check with Bob at Eurotubes. He loves the Classic series amps and makes up matched sets for all the models.

15. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have owned the 20, 30 and 50 2x12. I liked the 50 the best. The 30 was a little boxy sounding but louder than #$^@!

The 50 had a much richer, more rounded tone than the 30. I also sometimes ran it through the matching 1x15 cab. Woah!

The 20 didn't do anything for me. Gotta have reverb.

I've always been curious about the Delta 1x15. I'd love to try one cranked.

I don't care much for Peavey but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Classic Series. I do, however, think the new cab's are fugly. At least, so far, they've left the Delta 1x15 alone.

16. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Has anyone tried the new Classic 30 head? I'm looking for a head to go with my 4X10 speaker cabinet. They say it's been redesigned. Has it been changed, or did they just move production to China?

Tim

17. Junior

Neither. The only difference from the combo is the head uses ceramic sockets. The chassis has been changed to address a few long standing complaints such as tube rattle and heat problems, but it's nothing major. If anything, the new ones sound better than the older ones, though it's so close you'd have to change the same tubes and speakers back and forth to be sure. ;)

The Peavy Valve Kings are from China. Talk about bang for the buck... not at all like the Classics, however. No chime, lots of grit.

18. david henman

david henman Member

...i made a promise to myself to buy a classic 30 this year. i have a traynor ycv40wr, which is a solid, reliable and almost flawless amp, but the peavey has more personality.

the thing is, i want the 2-10 combo (or head + cab), because i want tight, articulate bass content. are tens the way to go, or will i be sacrificing low end heft?

-dh

19. 6stringer

6stringer Member

Delta Blues 2X10 is a great little amp - no better value for the money. You can get a new one for less than $500.00

Sounds great, takes pedals well, loud enough for small venues and sound great with the right MIC. the 2X10s give it a different feel than the 1X15 obviously. Built in spring reverb and tremelo. I play mine clean and use pedals for the grind, but it also has really good overdriven tones. I love the way this amp sounds on the clean channel using the neck pickup of my stratocaster. Versatile amp. I will never sell it. I will be getting some boutique amps soon, but this will always be used somehow, somewhere......

20. bluesgeek

bluesgeek Member

I have a Delta Blues 1 x 15", owned it about 6 months bought second hand. I thought it was a great amp but wasn't that keen on the gain channel. I've always used pedals in front of the clean and it was really sweet for all kinds of music (I'm playing in a covers band).

Last week I splashed out on some NOS Mullard EL84's and a Jensen P15N 15" speaker for it. To use the cliche "it was like taking a blanket off it" is no exagerration. I now have a gain channel that is to die for, it has a great distorted tone with lots of clarity :) Boosted with my cusack screamer it really kicks serious bottom ;)

I always wanted a Delta Blues just for the cleans and crunch - now I would never sell it, it stays with me for the rest of its or my natural life along with my Les Paul :D