Peavy goes after Spider Valve

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluescube, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bluescube

bluescube Member

With the new Vypyr!

Digital modelling and tube power!

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

They do all that work and then name the thing VYPYR? What the heck is this, 1987?

That sounds like a joke 80s metal cover band name.

I dont know why the didnt just go the extra mile and get some tube preamps in there.

3. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone remember those old ADA amps from the 90s? Didn't they pretty much do the same things as these "new" Spider and Viper valves?

4. ScottR

ScottR Member

Teh Name is Ghey :D

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

10-1 it will still sound like a peavey.:D

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Technology sounds nice, name sounds dumb. Line6 has about 10 years on them in the modeling world though. Can't imagine their amp models are going to be that good on their first foray. Time will tell. Glad to see another builder getting on this ship, its working pretty well so far. Can't wait until someone gets serious about it.

7. bluescube

bluescube Member

Peavey did compete with the original Flextone with the Transformer line of digtal modelling amps. This is thier second generation after discontinuing the Transformers 5 years ago or so....

8. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Which is sometimes very good, especially compared to a lot of Line6 crap! :)

Seriously, the Triumph/Ultra/Triple XXX series are great amps. Very nice cleans, decent reverb, and great super-heavy tones for the money. Not the best for classic crunch, but I still haven't found anything in that price range that does all three that well. The C30 is great for the money, too.

The looks of the amp will probably be nasty if Peavey's recent models are any indication. They need to hire new artists. Or maybe just fire the current ones and use some common sense.

9. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

If I know Peavey, todays announcement will result in a product in about a year.

10. glenecho

glenecho Member

Very possibly the most juvenile name for an amp I've ever heard.

11. bluescube

bluescube Member

[​IMG]

Transformer amp from 2000

[​IMG]

12. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I heard one time that Peavey has a "reverse engineering" department and are constantly "evaluating" competitors products.

As far as the name goes, it probably works for their target market.

MikeY

13. Derelict

Derelict Member

peavey bought out damage control, which was started by a couple of ex-line6 employees. this could get interesting.

:munch

14. Edmundo

Edmundo Supporting Member

Old news. Compare the control panel of the 5150 to the SLO...identical control placement except for the Resonance knob. Mike Soldano will tell you to this day that Peavey even copied the circuit, except for the trannies, layout, and component quality...which of course explains why the 5150 doesn't sound anything like the SLO. :rolleyes:

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The best model for modelling amps is the roland cube series. The kitchen sink approach blows.

Give me 2 channels clean/dirty with 2-3 GOOD sounding models per channel. Add reverb and MAYBE delay and NOTHING ELSE.

16. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You would be in the minority.

Silly name. Smacks of a Star Trek convention.

And didn't Peavey have some sort of 'Tube Fex' thingy that was a modeler back in the 90's-ish? I don't think this is anything new for them as far as technology, but certainly they want to compete in the Line6 space.

EP

17. enditol

enditol Member

I think it could be interesting. They mentioned processing power and didn't try to include 483 amps and effects. Peavey has some solid amps.

18. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Oh man - I can't even pronounce the amp without having to refer back to the name in print again. It's a tongue twister.

19. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

Kinda unfortunate. I know many of their customers were hoping for some MIDIfied rack gear. DC has some great stuff.... wonder what'll happen.

20. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

I am beginning to agree.

I've had a GT-8 through a tech21 Power engine, and it has been "good."

I've found that the problem with modeling is that I don't end up finding MY sound easily, and if I get close, it's not really what I want. It always sounds too digital and not alive enough one way or another.

Even tech21 sounds more alive, even at low volumes, than modeling. But I am still interested, because I think that line6 is lower quality than boss/roland, for sure, and peavey makes some good quality products