Pedal Advice for a Virgin!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Johnnythunders, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I'm a plug in the amp kind of guy but I have this cheap Sovtek Tube Midget 50 watts that sounds good somewhat cranked, I don't have the ability to open it up at home to see what it would sound like really cranked.

I'm looking for high gain non clean grungey low down meanacing sound...think Boris...Melvins....

What do I need? OD or distortion pedal? How about fuzz?

Thanks in for helping me pop my pedal cherry.

2. TimH

TimH Member

wow that's a word picture I hope you never use again

3. woude

woude Member

heh.

try a big muff sometime.

seriously though. Massive high gain menacing fuzz.

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

with that amp...

Skreddy Mayo or Top Fuel.

Check the sound clips out at www.skreddypedals.com

there may not be clips up for the mayo but there are a ton under mayonaise under the retired bin.

I think the mayo is probably perfect with that amp.

You might also check out an ICBM Fuzz from Crucible and a Hellbilly.

I think you'd love any of those.

5. theHoss

theHoss Member

For a virgin, I would jump right into the Big Muff.

6. Curt

Curt Member

Before you try out your first Muff, you might want to get a super hard on first.

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Now now, he can't be that inexperienced. It seems he already has a magnificent sex drive

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

hahaha

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Hey JT, DrRobert from the LPF, nice to see you here! There're probably 200 ODs and distortions and fuzzes being made now, and 100s more no longer available. The big question is "do you want the pedal to completely take over the sound of the guitar/amp or do you want the sound of the amp cranked up at normal volumes?". If the former, then a Fuzz is a good idea-the Big Muff and clones are great for sustaining leads, very high gain, but smooth in a sense (not sputtery). NO ability to clean up with the volume pedal. OTOH, the maximum gain from an Analogman Fuzzface clone is only a bit up from the guitar but it cleans up beautifully and preserves much of the amp's character. The same can be said about ODs, the best of which I believe is currently the Tim/Timmy for it's flexibility and transparency. For more massive tone destruction, there's the Zvex Fuzz Factory, the Rx Experience, many Tonebender clones out there. You're probably going to have to try a lot of different things to find your voice.

10. Maction

Maction Member

Johnny,

first of all, great handle. why didn't I think of that?

about the stomp box, if your amp is already overdriving/distorting, you're going to have to be careful about what you put in front of it. if you run a high-gain distortion unit in front of it, you might get a lot of non-defined sound and squealing feedback instead of sustain.

maybe try an effect that made to go in front of an already distorting amp. I have a Keeley Java boost, which when in full-range mode, gives me some super heavy tones -especially on a neck humbucker. The Java is pretty pricey new, $230, which might not be too cool for a pedal virgin. but, there are a lot of other germanium boosters out there with full-range modes: Vintage Tone project makes the Range Voodoo (and even had the dude from Fu Manchu record samples for their site), and Homebrew Electronics has the Germania, which sells for $99. you might also try the Fulltone OCD, they come up used a lot now, and they're supposed to be designed to run in front of an overdriving amp.

finally, if I remember correctly, the Tube Midget is a pretty portable amp. maybe find a store in your area with a nice selection of effects, take your guitar and amp in, and see what works for you and your rig.

good luck. I’m sure you’ll be regular pedal slut in no time :)

11. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Id think about a V-Twin or the Jt Pedals Valveboy for a cranked tube sound.