Pedal advice for hard rock /metal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dale5150, Feb 11, 2012.

1. dale5150

dale5150 Member

I play Les pauls through a Marshall half stack MG100HDFX and have a MT2 and wah. I dont like the MT2 and am looking to use as few pedals as possible. What are some essential pedal types for 80s hard rock to metal? Chorus, flanger etc...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

barber dirty bomb is an excellent pedal...Hardwire Metal Distortio is another excellent pedal...proco rat, electro harmonix metal muff, way huge fat sandwich

I have all the above and the mt2...i dont use the mt2...

3. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

What's wrong wtih the Marshall? Thats what all these pedals are TRYING to approximate! I use pedals to make my clean tube amp sounds like a Marshall. I loved the sound of a Cold Fusion, or a Klon Klone which is what I've come to find out it was - in front of a 2203. What Marshall do you have? The JCM800 2205 should be good on its own - maybe add a BBE in the loop.

4. dale5150

dale5150 Member

My amp is a MG100HDFX. Not a tube. I want to overdrive it for a more distorted sound. I guess more to the point , if you had to do with 4-5 pedals what types would you choose for the widest variety of sounds? Chorus, flanger, od etc...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. Occam

Occam Member

Vintage Rat + cranked Marshall = \m/
    If you really want everything to come from the pedal then the Toneczar Opnehaus is amazing but hard to get ahold of plus pricey. Check out Kayzer's YouTube channel (xtimehascomex)...he's tested them all.

Edit...I just saw that your Marshall is solid state so that eliminates the Rat and I doubt you'd want a pedal worth more than your amp. The Railhead TUA is nice for not much money. There are people who mod Metal Zones to sound a lot better or, the cheapest of all...Chuck from Death used solid state Marshall's and Dime used solid state Randall's and things worked out pretty well for them (except the whole tragic death thing).

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Bearfoot Model H was perfect for me with hard rock.
    Fetto Custom is another good option.

7. axedoc2010

axedoc2010 Member

I used a Marshall 100 DFX for many years. During that time I used an Ibanez Tube King distortion pedal as preamp distortion before the marshall with very decent results. Its under $150 and in my opinion is a really amazing pedal. And if you switch to tune amps later like I did, its still an amazing high gain sound.

8. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Amptweaker tight rock for both rock and metal and the tight metal for just metal...... These pedals just kick ass

9. br91

br91 Member

80s hard rock/early metal I would go for a High gain Marshall pedal. They can sound better with a dark chorus and a reverb pedal. There are a ton of Marshall pedals, such as the Dirty Bomb, Plextortion, etc

Also Suhr Riot, Tight Rock, etc

10. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I think this is what you are after also, Or maybe a Suhr riot.

11. cheameup

cheameup Member

I have a keeley mod mt2 and its a world above the stock one . best pedal metal sound I've tried . but i havent tried allot of the ones mentioned above .

I dont think you want to slam a solid state amp into overdrive. slamming an amp is about hitting tubes hard so they bend into distortion . with soild state you want more processing than a pedal IMHO. Line 6 or similair .

12. Bluesrocker99

Bluesrocker99 Member

Agree, the Tight Rock is the best high gain pedal I've tried, awesome piece of kit!

13. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

80's hard rock to metal using pedals. Let's see...Get a chorus. Maybe a TC Corona as the TC chorus/flange from the 80's gets that sound, hopefully the corona can come close. You need a digital delay-a Boss DD3 digital delay or similar. Analog delays were on their way out in the 80's, especially for metal/hard rock.

With your current amp, I'd get something like a DLS for the "amp" sound and an OD (TS9 or SD1) in front to push it harder for solos. Be sure to get a Marshall sounding pedal for the "amp" pedal. Mesas were around, but Marshalls (preferably with EL34 power tubes) ruled the rock world at that point in time. Consider a wah depending on the type of hard rock/metal you're doing. Michael Schenker, Iron Maiden, Vai and Zakk used wahs extensively, and used them well.

Final colors... depending, but either a phase 90 or an EH DEM flanger will cover your swoosh and swirl along with the chorus mentioned before if you feel you need it. You might not.

Eventually get yourself a good tube amp like a Marshall 2205/2210 as some mentioned earlier or a Carvin X100b for fairly cheap (about $650 new/$350-$400 used). Then you can dump the "amp" pedal above and get better tone from a hot Marshall or at least Marshall style tube amp pushed by the TS9 or SD-1.

Finally, play it like you mean it!

14. Ziad

Ziad Member

which channel do you use? pedal into clean, or do you use the dirty channel on the marshall? I recommend doing the 2nd option, and dialing as little gain as possible on the MT-2 (like, zero!) and use it as a boost. You should be all set with the onboard effects (the flanger on those things is really cool, btw. different, and unique)! That being said...I think a little entry-level tube amp (epiphone, blackheart, etc...) cranked would be better, especially with your lespauls (if you want to invest in upgrades, upgrade your pickups). If you absolutely want pedals, try different overdrives (Bad Monkey is a fav' of mine) in lieu of your distortion into the gain channel of the marshall, and maybe a chorus pedal (I like the mxr for what you're describing).

15. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Sell your amp... Buy a Marshall Class 5 for under $300 used. The market is flooded with them right now, and I freaking LOVE this amp - tons of on board dirt, and takes pedals amazingly well. It surprisingly keeps up with my $2K Gabriel Voxer as well.

16. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Don't go crazy buying pedals unless you have a nice tube amp. The amp is really the center of a hard rock rig and money put into an amp will have greater return than money put into pedals.

Even something like a Marshall JTM60 will give you a good 80's hard rock sound.

17. Axsys

Axsys Member

New amp would be a plus, I just don't care for the mg series. Short of that, humbucker guitar -> Barber Dirty Bomb -> clean channel. Analog delay and chorus (experiment in front vs loop ). Get a phase 90 & mxr 117 later.

18. Dale

Dale Member

19. Ziad

Ziad Member

or that :agree

20. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

I just built the BYOC Shredder, not a super high gain pedal but sounds great. with the Bass, Mids and Treble controls you can easily go from looser fat JTM tones to tight scooped JCM800 tones. GREAT value.