Pedal Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hathisisfunnyha, Oct 2, 2008.

1. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

I am currently rebuilding my entire setup from the bottom up.

Most likely guitar/amp setup will be Blackface Princeton Reverb and a 1960 Custom Telecaster

Right now, my thoughts are that I need a good boost pedal, multi function analog delay and an overdrive, and potentially a fuzz pedal

Currently this is what I'm thinking feel free to mock, laugh or improve on this setup

BJFE Baby Pink Booster (considering getting another SHO)
    Maxon AD999
    Mad Professor Little Green Wonder

and if a fuzz
    i'll probably go to Bjorn for that as well
    and probably get a Flatliner to overpower these pedals

I've burned through most of the big label/boutique pedals in each of the realms I'm looking at
    Boost (ZVex, Klon, Keeley)
    Delay (Diamond, Fulltone, Maxon, Ibanez, Freakshow)
    Overdrive (Boss, EHX, Tim, Landgraff, ZVex)

From my just testing out at shops, I've been really impressed with the Mad Professor and BJF line of pedals. Well worth the money based on the functionality and tones available from them.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Not to try to rain on your parade, but I would worry a lot more about the amp/guitar combo before worrying about pedals. Many pedals can sound either great or not so great, depending on your rig. My advice would be to find a basic rig that sounds the way you want it to sound, and then buy pedals that compliment it.

Sorry if I am not being helpful in answering your question, but IMO you are going about this backward.

3. attic

attic Member

EHX nano LPB is a good boost pedal.
    MXR Carbon Copy is a very good analog delay.
    And the EHX little big muff has a low price, a small footprint and a big sound.

Those are my 3 suggestions.

4. guitarbanshee89

guitarbanshee89 Member

well...personally I don't like any of those pedals and I kinda agree with the guy above me...also what type of music are you playing? I mean I can't help you determine what type of pedals to get if I don't know what they are for... :)

5. ruach1

ruach1 Member

+1 on that. The guitar is what you are touching. Your relationship with the guitar is your sound. The amp is the next most important thing in the sound. It's like pizza. Great toppings are wasted, if the crust is soggy and the sauce is lousy. But a simple cheese pizza is delightful, if it has a fabulous crust and zesty sauce. Your ax and amp are your foundation. Pedals come and go.

6. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

7. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Like these suggestions but my problems with the pedals are

I've found the EHX pedals tend to be hit/miss with their build quality and I broke several Big Muffs in the past and I'd rather stay away from them even though I did like the Big Muff tone. I like the LGW as a Distortion/Overdrive because it gives the Marshall Growl to fender style amps that I tend to lean towards.

The carbon copy is a nice analog delay but it offers very little compared to the AD999 which offers different m/s delays and has a lot more delay options then what you can get from CC, and I've also read a lot of reviews just stating that the CC tends to blend into a pedal chain and becomes pretty much useless.

I also updated the OP with the most likely guitar amp setup I will be running but not the exact.