Pedal Board Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vashondan, May 7, 2016.

1. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Putting together my first pedalboard and wondering what kind of cables (brand and style) do you use to make your pedals look so neat and close together? Thanks!

2. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Most common are Lava cables, Evidence, and apparently Disaster Area has some insanely small cable heads.

I use soldered Lava Mini ELCs and for the most part they've been good. I've had a few fail or need a quick solder, but I am pretty hard on my patch cables.

3. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Darkburst likes this.
  4. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I went with George L's. Have had no issues at all, and even picked up a 50' spool of spare cable so I can move things around ad nausem.

5. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Whatever you get, make sure don't go solderless. Had constant failures until I soldered my own Lava ultramafic cables.

Ezzy911 and Chandyland like this.
  6. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

7. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I made my own, used lava tightrope solderless, and had the regular rapco or whatever from music go round at different times.

No tonal difference with my setup, lava's are easy and sound, homemade are customizable, sound good, but take a little more time, and I found the music go round ones fine too.

Cables are perhaps the most over rated aspect of "tone."

Abram4235 likes this.
  8. vashondan

Looks like some great options there thanks.

I was just looking at all #mypedaltrain and decided to get the one just larger than the Nano+ for this very reason. I want it neat but not too tight. Just right!

Anacharsis likes this.
  9. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

If you're not going super tight with your pedals, my favorite cables are Planet Waves patch cables:
    [​IMG]
    I use these on my bass and acoustic boards where space is not as much a consideration.

Once I started Tetris-ing my main board to fit the maximum number of pedals physically possible, I mostly switched to these Hosa pancake cables:
    [​IMG]
    ...which I anticipated being lower quality but have not actually had any issues with. And I've fit at least three more pedals on since I switched to these. ;)

+NRG and johnh like this.
  10. vashondan

I'll have a look at those as well. I'm waiting for delivery of the last pedal. Then I'll get the pedal board > see how the pedals lay out > decide on cables. I doubt very much that I'll ever add pedals. Maybe switch out.

11. motorchang

motorchang Member

Another shout out to Tightsqueeze. Solid product, good price and super fast turn over.

12. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

Agreed,on tight squeeze, my board is now all monorails.

13. jhuse

jhuse Member

Best-tronics released a solderless pedalboard kit this past fall. I have asset and have had good luck. Same Plugs can be used to make either straight to right angle connections.

14. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

Lava tightrope kit. Make them however you want. Tiny plugs. Great reliability

15. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I just use the Hosa pancake cables. They work and sound great, they're inexpensive, and they're compact.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  16. vatore3rd

vatore3rd Gold Supporting Member

For solder-less, I found Evidence SIS to be far superior to Lava. SIS is more expensive, but it is much simpler to assemble correctly and far more reliable.

I'd say my batting average creating properly-working-first-time Lava cables was ~60%. Usually a short somewhere. And then some would fail after a few months and have to be redone.

My batting average with SIS is 100%, and I've had no failures. Gotten to the point that I've stopped testing newly made cables with my multimeter. I highly recommend Evidence for solder-less.

17. derpsnerf

derpsnerf Member

I used the Disaster Area solderless patch cables. I tried them on a whim and have never made my own cables before. Super easy and takes hardly anytime once you get the hang of it. Haven't failed me yet in the past 6 months that I've had them. Super neat and tidy as well.

Billy Moss likes this.
  18. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Reminds me of those yard lights where you clip onto the main wire with two sharp points that hit either side of the electric cable (whenever I hear solder less). I used to hate those damn things.

19. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

I use George L's. Can cut to length needed, super easy, great tone.

20. Kyle Byquist

Kyle Byquist Member

I'm currently in the process of moving all my cables over to Evidence Audio SIS - super reliable and really great sound quality