Pedal Board Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Scott941, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Scott941

Scott941 Silver Supporting Member

Looking for recommendations for good cables for wiring up a looper/switcher on my board. I mainly need R/L angle to straight in varying lengths. I'm not finding much that's already pre made, but lots of kits. I prefer pre made in different lengths, but would settle for a good cable kit. Recommendations?

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Evindence Audio SIS, not premade, but easy to make and beats pretty much everything else out there.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Several companies are reselling G&H B52n plugs for their solderless option. Set screw and RA/straight option built in is a nice touch. Pretty much identical to Lava Piston. Thinner cable than some options.
    Gear Supply Co has the kits and 20% off this weekend.

LordByron likes this.
  4. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

if you want premade check out http://www.sinasoid.com/
    very happy with all of the instrument and speaker cables i have received from them. if you want to hone your soldering skills nothing beats the switchcraft 228's and some lava bulk cable. here is my acclam board with that i just finished.
    [​IMG]

Scott941 likes this.
  5. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

Great cables, they sound good and are easy to put together.
    Unfortunately some of the plugs from my sis-kit seem to be to big for some of my pedals and don't fit.
    But maybe they are from a bad batch or something.

6. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

I recommend against getting pre made lengths. Things can get messy pretty fast with a switching system.

My suggestion is to either get the Evidence SIS, or solder your own. Switchcraft 380 and some kind of pancake plugs, Mogami w2319 for cable.

hippieboy and Scott941 like this.
  7. 4b454e

4b454e Member

In-process with exactly this.

I ordered some Hosa pancake patch cables just to cannibalize the ends because they are super low profile. If the fit is really tight around the edge, I just grind a bit off.

For a more professional fit and finish I would recommend SquarePlug pancakes. They seem to be the bees knees.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  8. Tonefan

Tonefan Member

Free the tone kits are also phenomenal. Easy to put together. Never had a failure in any pedalboard reorganisation. Sound superb.

9. eaudio

eaudio Member

Shoot me an email Christoph (tony@) and I'll make sure you're covered. Just don't do a PM here. I tried to send you one, but can't because my inbox is full, and don't have time or inclination to figure out how to clean it up). There were a few plugs where the insertion force of the tip caused the insulator to expand the shaft to 6.32 mm and that won't work with some jacks. The alternative is not using enough pressure to hold the tip in place, and the tip falls out of the plug... but I'm happy to get you replacements promptly.

10. superdave2001

superdave2001 Member

Can't disagree with the Evidence Audio SIS suggestions. The Disaster Area kit is phenomenal at a great price point too.

If you want pre-made and LOW profile, I think the EBS flat cables are AMAZING. The sound is as good as anything else I've heard, and the ends are really great for fitting into tight spaces (especially backs of loop switchers, etc.) - MUCH smaller than pancakes.

11. Christoph R.

Christoph R. Member

Hey, wow! Thanks a lot for your help, i will send you an email! Very cool! :aok

12. mdc1

mdc1 Member

I just wired up a cornish style board with some buffer friendly pedals (vibe, etc) and it was a solderless and easy experience once you build the first cable. The board is "clear" and dead quiet. Used the 3 monkeys power stuff as well and no solder there either. In my view, worth the extra cost to save time.

great thing about these products is if you bring a pair of cutters, strippers and some extra kit you can resolve issues out of the house if confronted with it. Again no soldering.

Blix likes this.
  13. Scott941

Scott941 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

15. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Without a doubt evidence sis, no other comes close.

Blix likes this.
  16. fenix899

fenix899 Member

Another vote for the SIS - sounds good, easy to make, and rock solid. Like many others here have suggested try to stay off the pre-made cables for switching systems because the cabling situation can really get very messy with a switching system.

hippieboy likes this.
  17. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

To clarify the Lava Piston is much more like the Free the Tone that ironically uses our slotted cap. The G&H plug has no cap.☺️

18. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I had been a George-L fan but since adding a few EA SIS, I'm a convert. They are more consistent and the connections are stronger.