Pedal board / chain question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lo.fi.labs, Jan 27, 2015.

1. lo.fi.labs

lo.fi.labs Member

Short setup and strike times at our shows prompted me to put together a pedalboard a year or so ago. For the most part it's worked out fine, but I've been struggling with my fuzz pedal sound since - I can't seem to get a decent output from the fuzz (regardless of model*) and it tends to sound thin. I've had some other gear changes along the way and it's hard for me to pin down just what the cause is. I've read enough articles and forum entries about buffers and impedance to make me go cross eyed, I've tried swapping pedal orders and cables and can't seem to get it right. I'm hoping someone with more experience than me could make a suggestion as to how I could solve this...

* fuzz pedals I've tried
    - NY Big Muff
    - Russian Big Muff (currently on the board)
    - Shin Ei FY-2 (w/ output gain mod, my fave fuzz pedal)
    - Shin Ei FY-2 Clone

Here's my pedal chain:

TU-2 --> Crowther Hotcake --> Big Muff --> DM-2 --> Kill Switch

I play lipstick pickup guitars (so low output) into a Satellite Elmer. My pedals are all powered by a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.

Your thoughts / advice would be appreciated! If there's any information I neglected to add, please let me know.

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Put the fuzz in front of the TU2, (if you haven't tried it already, TU2 is buffered, if you didnt know that already), otherwise I'm at a loss

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep, let fuzz see your pickup load, no buffers before it. And also a good cable between guitar and it.

4. lo.fi.labs

lo.fi.labs Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I'd tried running the fuzz first, but it's possible I missed it... will try it at our next rehearsal.

5. lo.fi.labs

lo.fi.labs Member

I must not have realized the TU-2 was buffered before, because putting the fuzz first was a definite improvement. Another improvement was the small power supply sag control I built and put between the Muff and the Fuel Tank Jr. - dropping the 9V takes some of top end harshness out and gives it a bit more spit. Thanks again for your input.