Pedal Board chains and powering ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dubravac, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

Looking for some tips on creating the ideal chain for what i have, and power.

First off, this is the list of what i have ...

Savage Rohr 15 (amp) .. 2 channel that is being switched through a Radial Tonebone Switchbone. Channel one (clean) into input 1 (on the Switchbone) and Channel two (dirt) into input 2 (on the Switchbone) ...

From there, i have the following:

TC Polytune, TC Hall of Fame, TC Flashback, Fulltone OCD, Timmy, Digitech HarmonyMan ... (also looking to add a Wah and a Volum Pedal in the near future) ...

What would be the ideal chain for this setup ... this is what i came up with ... (don't worry about the Polytune, i can use the dedicated 'tuner out' on the switchbone for that) ...

OCD -> Timmy
    ^ |
    | |
    SwitchBone output -> Digitech HMan -> TC Flash -> TC HofF -> Guitar

Does this setup look ideal to you guys ?? I have the OD pedals like that because the HarmonyMan has dedicated Distortion send and return. So i have the send to the OCD chained to the Timmy and back to the return on the HarmonyMan. Reading the HarmonyMan instructions, it says the HarmonyMan likes clean input coming in for it to work correctly. Not sure if anyone has experience with this pedal. Will the OCD and Timmy still work with my Delay and Reverb this way, even when not using the HMan ?

When i do purchase my volume and wah pedal, where would i ideally chain them ??

And lastly, powering all this may be a bit of an issue. I was looking at the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. Problem is two of my pedals (switchbone and OCD) use 18V ... which on the pedal power 2 would use 4 of the inputs (2 9V chained together with a cable), which would leave me 4 inputs and 5 pedals. I really don't want to buy a second Pedal Power. Could i just plug in the Switchbone and OCD into a standard Power Bar and just use the Pedal Power for my 9V power needs ??

Thanks alot for all your help guys!

ps. the OCD and Timmy don't seem to be editing properly in my chain, they should be over the Digitech Hman, not the Switchbone (as said in the text below the chain).

2. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

3. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

1. I assume by "guitar" in your chain you meant "amp"
    2. I'd take the OCD and Timmy out of the Harmony Man loop and just run them after.
    3. A PP2+ is plenty enough. The OCD takes 9-18v so you could just power it at 9v or you could you a splitter to split one of your remaining outputs between 9v two pedals.
    4. Wah usually comes pretty early, so probably after the HM. Volume typically goes after your drives but I like it before.

So:

Guitar -> Switchbone (Tuner out) ...not really sure how you have your outputs, is one going straight to the amp, and the other through pedals?

If so:

Switchbone -> Amp
    Switchbone -> Harmony Man -> (Wah) -> OCD -> Timmy -> (Volume) -> Flashback -> HoF -> Amp

4. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

The amp has 2 channels (Normal and Bright) but they aren't switchable through a footswitch. It's like a vintage Marshall. The channels are switchable through an A/B/Y box.

So from the AMP to the Switchbone, i'd have this ...

AMP (Normal Channel or "Clean") -> Switchbone Output 1
    AMP (Bright Channel or "Dirty") -> Switchbone Output 2

I'm just calling them "Clean" and "Dirty" ... as i would like to use them that way, then have my OD pedals on the Clean Channel for some variations in my dirty sound.

I need the remaining pedals to work with both "Clean" and "Dirty" channels ...

So i'm assuming (hopefully) that the rest of my chain would go out from the INPUT on the switchbone ?

Switchbone Input -> Harmony Man -> OCD -> Timmy -> Flashback -> HoF (end of chain) -> Guitar

I may be doing this in an opposite order ... like reading left to right (or in this case, starting from the amp) ...

On the power issue, i don't believe i will have enough with the PP2+ ... i have 5 pedals that require 9V and 2 that require 18V (4 9V inputs on the PP2+) ... i'm ok with having one PP2+, but can i power the switchbone (18v) and the OCD (18v) into a power bar or something without having any buzz or humming issues, etc ??

Thanks again !!

5. Randingo

Randingo Member

You are going backwards in your description: the convention is to follow the direction of the signal from the guitar to the amp. To save further confusion in this post, I'd suggest you write the effects in that order. Please understand, I'm not trying to be a signal chain Nazi here, but because your setup is a little different than many/most of us have, it would be helpful if the terminology stayed the same.

With regard to your question... I'm not sure how the Switchbone differs from a passive ABY, so I'm going to assume it functions the same but with additional isolation and electrical improvements. I'm not familiar with the Harmony Man, either, but since you say it works best with a clean signal, I'd suggest the following:

Guitar->(wah)->Harmony Man->OCD->Timmy->(Volume)->Flashback->HOF->Switchbone (to the clean and dirty inputs of the amp).

I know you said you wanted the dirt only on the clean side, but dirt after delay and reverb sounds sort of awful. This way, you also have the ability to flavor your dirt channel with your OD pedals.

If your amp has an effects loop, then things change...

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I agree entirely with Randingo (nice quote btw!).

And about the power, you could use individual 18V adapters into a power strip in addition to the PP2 covering 9V duties, and of course this wouldn't cause hum because individual adapters=isolated power output. You could also daisy chain a couple of pedals off of one PP2 output. This wouldn't likely cause any hum, but it could because then those pedals would be sharing a common ground. IME, daisy chaining doesn't cause noise with all pedals, but it certainly can, particularly with digital effects. If you could pull that off, it would be cleaner and easier to set up though.

7. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

This is great Randingo, also thanks to chrisross ...

I am sorry, my chain was backwards. I will make sure to do it the proper way next time, thanks for the explanation.

Yes, the switchbone is made much better to cancel out things like hum, buzz and pops when changing from A to B ... (not sure if this is just good marketing and bullshitting)

Your chain makes more sense than mine, and i believe is the same as chrisross had above. The amp does not have an effects loop, so this should work out ok.

What are your takes with my power issue from above ?

8. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I think you missed what I said.

2 18v pedals will take 4 slots.
    You only have 4 slots left, and 5 more 9v pedals to power.
    So, use a y-splitter to power two of those pedals with one of the remaining slots.

Lets try it like this:
    VD Output 1 - Switchbone
    2 - Switchbone
    3 - OCD
    4 - OCD
    5 - Harmony Man
    6 - Timmy and Polytune
    7 - Flashback
    8 - HoF

Since each output is isolated, splitting that signal should have no ill-effects. In fact, I know it doesn't, I've done it before (unless something weird happens, in that case, try powering two other effects together)

EDIT: actually, since your polytune has a 9v in and out, I would just power the Timmy (as it doesn't use a large amount of mA's) with the 9v out of the Polytune, so you wouldn't even need a y-cable.

So:
    VD Output 1 - Switchbone
    2 - Switchbone
    3 - OCD
    4 - OCD
    5 - Harmony Man
    6 - Polytune (Timmy via Polytune 9v out)
    7 - Flashback
    8 - HoF