pedal board dilemma. two stacks, one aby switch, one pedalboard. Any suggestions?

gregorybj

I have 2 stacks right now and an aby switch between them. I have one pedalboard running through the effects loop on one of my stacks. However, I want to use the same pedals on my other amp. I do not want to have two separate pedalboards for both amps.

Would it be a good idea to run all of my pedals going into an aby switch, which sends the signal to both amps, or not?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with putting them in front of the amp and using a stereo chorus or similar pedal at the end to broadcast in stereo. I do this with great results. If you still want the two loops and are worried about signal loss, try a loop-master true bypass strip.

I use a L-M micro a/b box for my tuner and then the "a" signal goes to my amp via a 5 loop true bypass strip. That allows me to put whatever effects or groups of effects I want in OR out of my signal path. I put multiple pedals in a loop occasionally (ex. Tremolo and Phaser; I don't really use together)

I work my stereo through an old 90's CH-1 Super Chorus or out of my visual volume pedal (these are the only two stereo pedals I own). The results? ... Fabulous.

gregorybj

Nothing wrong with putting them in front of the amp and using a stereo chorus or similar pedal at the end to broadcast in stereo. I do this with great results. If you still want the two loops and are worried about signal loss, try a loop-master true bypass strip.

I use a L-M micro a/b box for my tuner and then the "a" signal goes to my amp via a 5 loop true bypass strip. That allows me to put whatever effects or groups of effects I want in OR out of my signal path. I put multiple pedals in a loop occasionally (ex. Tremolo and Phaser; I don't really use together)

I work my stereo through an old 90's CH-1 Super Chorus or out of my visual volume pedal (these are the only two stereo pedals I own). The results? ... Fabulous.
sounds good, but I am pretty new at this. What does it mean to broadcast in stereo? Thanks!

Reckedtrek

3 starting questions for the OP:
Do both of your amps have effects loops?
Do you use amp drive or pedal drive? (if you use any distortiomn, fuzz. hard overdrive, etc...)
Are any of your effects stereo?

gregorybj

3 starting questions for the OP:
Do both of your amps have effects loops?
Do you use amp drive or pedal drive? (if you use any distortiomn, fuzz. hard overdrive, etc...)
Are any of your effects stereo?
I use the channels on both amps as well as overdrives for the clean chanels. Both amps have fx loops. I assume that I do not have any pedals in stereo, because I do not even know what that means. Thanks!

GASattack

I presume, for clarification purposes, you want to run both stacks, with the same tone, at the same time.

NOT

Use one for leads and distortion, and the other for cleaner tones, and switch between them.

gregorybj

I presume, for clarification purposes, you want to run both stacks, with the same tone, at the same time.

NOT

Use one for leads and distortion, and the other for cleaner tones, and switch between them.
actually, the later is true, I would like to have the option to use all of my pedals through both amps though because of tone difference. Thanks!

GASattack

ok, this is how I run my setup, multiple amps, but use the different amps for different tones, one at a time, but, the only way I could do that, and use the same offboard effects, was running all the effects in front of the amp rather than in the effects loops ... unless you have a custom built switching system..

someone feel free to correct me if there is something out there that does this that I am unaware of ....

GASattack

But, to go back to your question in your original post ... yes, you can put an A/B switch at the end of your pedalboard to switch between rigs. I did this exact thing before I went to a GCX audio switching system. Just make sure you get a QAULITY A/B switch so it doesnt jack your impedance up and suck tone on ya!

gregorybj

But, to go back to your question in your original post ... yes, you can put an A/B switch at the end of your pedalboard to switch between rigs. I did this exact thing before I went to a GCX audio switching system. Just make sure you get a QAULITY A/B switch so it doesnt jack your impedance up and suck tone on ya!
Are you saying that I can run all of my pedals through the aby switch? This way I could use the same effects on both amps. Thanks!

Reckedtrek

I use the channels on both amps as well as overdrives for the clean chanels. Both amps have fx loops. I assume that I do not have any pedals in stereo, because I do not even know what that means. Thanks!
Do any of your pedals have 1 input and two outputs or two inputs and two outputs?
On second thought, it might just be easier if you list the pedals and amps you're using if you can.

Trending Topics