Pedal Board Direct Into PA Help.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dickster7000, Apr 16, 2016.

1. dickster7000

dickster7000 Member

I'm still a bit new to this whole pedal board deal. I'm having trouble getting a good overdrive sound directly into PA. I've got a few other questions on top of that. I'll give you my specs below.

My axe of choice is an Epiphone Les Paul I brought home from my tour in Korea.
    Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pups.
    Pedal board powered by T-Rex Chameleon.
    All into a Radial J48.

Heres the main OD issue: I have two Centaur clones- the Soul Food and BYOC Silver Pony. I use the Silver Pony as my light OD option and its fantastic. I love it. I use the Soul Food as a heavier OD but its generating way more fuzz than I care for. Turning the drive down too low results in it sounding exactly like the Silver Pony (duh, I know, they're clones of the same thing). For a replacement my eyes are on the Prince of Tone, or the Sweet Honey. Any other suggestions (besides the Tube Screamer)? Understand that I'm not trying to Metal my guitar. I know the pups aren't made for that. I'm just looking for a heavier OD option that sounds good past the 12 o' clock position.

OR maybe the reason I'm sounding like mud is because I'm not plugged into an amp and mic'd to the PA? I was sure my J48 takes care of that problem. It only sounds like mud when the Soul Food is engaged. But if my DI isn't the full fix, is getting an amp simulator a better option? Say a Tech 21 or Joyo? I know an amp is preferred but I choose the pedal board as a more mobile option than lugging around my fat Marshall twin cab.

Last question: I'm also looking for a good solid distortion pedal for when I go with my old Ibanez from the 80s. This one I AM trying to Metal up. Rain the suggestions.

I know its lots of words but I've tried to cover all bases. Any input is welcome. Thank you for your time.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yes, going clean or clean'ish direct to board can work but as you go up in overdrive having a amp/cab sim is essential. It sounds fizzy/fuzzy without one. Really your cleans will probably sound better with one as well.

Many use tech21 stuff, the new ones have switchable cab sims so they can be used with or without in case you use it with a guitar amp.

Let see if Sam can sell you on a Lovepedal Purple Plexi.... Pedal is the bomb

I also have one of these, buy used and you can get them for peanuts, have no idea why they sound great...

dpgreek likes this.
  3. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Yup, I'd say you need an amp/cab emulator in the mix. The J48 is a great DI, but doesn't offer any emulation (their jdx48 does, but not the j48). I'd recommend trying one of the Sansamp pedals (Liverpool and Blonde are great!) after your drives, or at the end of your chain, then into the J48 out to the board. On a budget, you could also look at the ol' Digitech offerings, such as the Bad Monkey, which is a good TS and also has an output jack for running direct as well.

Regarding distortion, I think the Rat is a great option. I've also heard good things about the TC Dark Matter, which can be found cheap right now too.

MattLeFevers likes this.
  4. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

I'm getting good results for recording using a Liverpool, after my drives/dirt, but before my mod/delay/reverb.

The stereo outputs from my reverb - a Neunaber Slate - go straight to my sound card. It sounds great, but did take a bit of dialling in, as the Tech21 character pedals seem to have very hot outputs.

If you want to test it out, there's a lot of people on here say the Joyo clones of the Character series are pretty good, and about an eighth of the price.

Onemileguy likes this.
  5. dickster7000

dickster7000 Member

Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated. One problem I see with this is I want to have an option of a light and heavier overdrive to switch back and forth on. Hearing this probably means I should keep the emulator always on. I don't want to keep bending down to toggle drive. Would having the drive nob turned all the way down on the emulator effect my sound too much? As I said I already love my light overdrive option. Thanks again!

MattLeFevers likes this.
  6. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I always dialed in my Sansamp Liverpool like a clean amp, or edge of breakup, and left it on the whole time, using my other dirt pedals as for different levels/ flavours of gain.

MattLeFevers and Onemileguy like this.
  7. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Here is the manual for the Liverpool to give you an idea at least for this option. I always dialed it in like the clean setting, and was really happy with the sound. As someone stated, the output can be REALLY hot, so I usually had that dialed back around 9-10:00. Currently I am using a mic'd tube amp, but I still keep the Liverpool around for whenever I need a direct solution.

[​IMG]

8. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

Another solution, the Gurus DD1959 would give you 2 drives, a boost, built in fx loop (series or parallel switchable), and a built in DI with cab clone that sounds killer. Floor 1 is great for light drive through Plexi, floor 2 will do a great JCM high gain distortion. Just throw a Klone before it for another boost/OD and a delay in the loop and you are set!

losrogers likes this.
  9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

yup you'd run it always on. running with an amp sim and cab sim is why the gain sounds like mud....

10. charley

charley Supporting Member

You need a preamp with a cab sim. You've got a GREAT DI already.

Check out:

1. Tech 21 Blonde or other Character Series pedal
    2. Ethos Clean

MattLeFevers likes this.
  11. dickster7000

dickster7000 Member

Thank you all again for the the input! You guys are golden! At this moment I'm very torn between the Liverpool and the British. Leaning toward the British because the Liverpool seems a smidge too sparkling with the character control. But the higher drive sounds outstanding. Decisions decisions.

12. WillLane

WillLane Member

+1 to amp/speaker sim. Tech 21 units work nicely. If you want to sound like your Marshall, get the British.

13. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

The british is nice and good or better than any of the digital sounds from the modelers.

14. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

This. Leave it on, use your other dirt pedals for different flavours. It takes dirt pedals brilliantly when dialled in for clean - my Archer sounds fantastic, and I goose it with an SD1 when I want heavier stuff.

When not going DI, I switch the speaker eq off and hey presto, a lovely, versatile dirt pedal in it's own right.

Funnily enough, I seem to recall Tech21 themselves recommending the Leeds pedal for an always-on clean solution on one of these threads?

Anyway, I highly recommend the Liverpool, only thing is in the UK they don't seem to hold their price very well, so do buy used.

15. KK Jale

KK Jale Member

^ One alternative to a used Tech21 would be a used Award-Session (or Morley) JD10 preamp/DI with cab sim.

I always throw one between my mini-board and the PA when I have to go direct.

You can often pick them up very, very affordably, and they're really solid pieces of gear. Mine's been kicking around for 15 years and it still gets plenty of use.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  16. bluenova

bluenova Member

Having no cab simulator is basically unusable with distortion. Sansamps work pretty good. You'll be blown away how much better they sound. Torpedo CAB is awesomsauce. You'll be blown away again how much better you sound compared to the Sansamp. Sansamps cab sim is a lo pass filter that rolls off 6k and above. CAB is an impulse response loader that simulates cabs, microphones, power amps and room reverb.

dickster7000 likes this.
  17. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

+1 for the Tech 21 Character series. I use the Blonde, dialed in clean (I think it's honestly just the "Clean" setting from the manual's recommended settings, I have barely even customized it) and then I alternate between a ProCo Rat and a Tube Screamer for gain. Sounds amazing.

You're right, though, that if you use the Tech 21 as an amp sim you wouldn't necessarily also want to use it for gain. Aside from the impracticality of leaning down and toggling the gain knob that you mentioned, you also have to adjust the overall level knob (when I raise the gain on mine I have to back off the output level) so it's a lot to mess with mid-performance.

I would definitely advocate any Character pedal to anyone going direct from a pedalboard.

As to your other question re: distortion for the Ibanez - depending how metal you're trying to go, I would heartily recommend the Rat (goes from light gain up to at least a punk / thrash / 80s metal level of aggressiveness) or the Bogner Uberschall (goes from light bluesy gain to face ruining death metal). Those are what I use for harder stuff and I put a lot of research into the Bogner because it's nigh impossible to find a pedal that heavy that doesn't sound like garbage.

dickster7000 likes this.
  18. dickster7000

dickster7000 Member

As johnny 5 would say, GREAT INPUT!! Decision has landed me on a used Tech 21 British. But I ordered one without the little simulator button. Did I just bone myself?

and Rat 1 or Rat 2?

MattLeFevers and southpaw pete like this.
  19. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Good choice! And I think you'll be fine without the sim button. My Liverpool is from before the button, and that's just fine for me, since I only use it for when running direct, so the amp sim would always be engaged anyways.

And personally I think you'd be fine with the current Rat2. I know there is always talk about the old Rats being better and all, but honestly, I have a Rat2 and think it is an excellent pedal.

dickster7000 and MattLeFevers like this.
  20. dickster7000

dickster7000 Member

The Tech 21 British has worked out brilliantly on my first use. Complete tone makeover. I'll keep the Torpedo Cab in mind for a later investment. I have the simulator after my drives. Would there be any noticeable change putting it at the end of the chain? Does it matter?