Pedal Board Help (buffers and volume pedals)

mynameisrobi

Hello everyone! I am very new to making a pedalboard and currently have these pedals:

Walrus Audio Deep Six Compressor
Wampler Tumnus Overdrive (buffered)
TC Alter Ego x4 Delay (true bypass at the moment, but I think has the potential to be buffered)
Boss RV-6 Reverb (buffered)
TC Hall Of Fame Mini
(Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus)

I am looking to buy a board, tuner pedal, and volume pedal. One thing I am worried about is the dreaded tone suck of the volume pedals that are passive, however, I don't know if an active volume pedal is necessary either. What order would you recommend these pedals to go in and is a passive volume (like the Ernie Ball VP Jr) and a true bypass tuner (TC Polytune Mini) possible to use? Is it necessary to buy a buffered volume pedal or buffered tuner? Do I need to buy a seperate buffer or can I place certain pedals in certain places to where I don't need to buy one?

Thanks so much!

~Robi

Adelbatross

One thing you'll find about building boards is there's A LOT of trial and error when you're first getting started and no right answer necessarily but good guidelines to start with. Different pedals interact in different ways, there's different ways to power everything, and then there's capacitance (which relates to how far your signal needs to go from guitar to amp). Buffers solve the capacitance problems for people with larger boards than yours (8+ pedals) unless you use really long cables.

Long story short worry about things when they happen, and my advice is don't pay for solutions until you have a problem that needs fixing. If you can bring some pedals into a shop and try out a few volume pedals and see what you like. If that's not an option just make sure they have a decent return policy. You might get a VP Jr or something and find it doesn't need anything, or find you need a buffer to help out your signal a bit.

Most importantly, have fun with all this stuff and spend more time playing than fiddling!

sturge

Good advice by Adelbatross and there is no 'right' answer. Try a search on pedal order for various details and suggestions...a 'typical' order that many follow is:

guitar > wah > compression (less noisy before dirt) > dirt (many variables for placement of od, fuzz, distortion) > volume (putting it here ensures volume changes do not affect drive from dirt) > modulation > time based (delay/reverb).

You did not mention amp. If it has effects loop many put modulation and time based effects there but everything else stays ahead of preamp gain stage of amp.

I never used a volume pedal. My board is mostly true bypass components and I never had issues with tone loss. I have wah and 3-4 dirt pedals and tuner ahead of amp with a Nova System (multi effects unit) in loop.
I am currently considering a Tumnus or Tube Screamer in the loop as a lead boost...never tried that.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Hello everyone! I am very new to making a pedalboard and currently have these pedals:

Walrus Audio Deep Six Compressor
Wampler Tumnus Overdrive (buffered)
TC Alter Ego x4 Delay (true bypass at the moment, but I think has the potential to be buffered)
Boss RV-6 Reverb (buffered)
TC Hall Of Fame Mini
(Voodoo Pedal Power 2 Plus)

I am looking to buy a board, tuner pedal, and volume pedal. One thing I am worried about is the dreaded tone suck of the volume pedals that are passive, however, I don't know if an active volume pedal is necessary either. What order would you recommend these pedals to go in and is a passive volume (like the Ernie Ball VP Jr) and a true bypass tuner (TC Polytune Mini) possible to use? Is it necessary to buy a buffered volume pedal or buffered tuner? Do I need to buy a seperate buffer or can I place certain pedals in certain places to where I don't need to buy one?

Thanks so much!

~Robi

@mynameisrobi order also very much may depend on what style of music you will play most. I run VP after everything but delay and reverb, which allows for swells/ambient in my style. EB is always a go to but I've never had one. I like a mini VP just for decreased space, currently using a Tapestry Audio Bloomery which is awesome but pricey. Dunlop has a mini VP as well and I always liked one of their earlier full sized.

I would try no buffer first, but if you feel you need one, I use Throne Room Pedals because it's tiny and it does the trick.

For easy board set up, Pedaltrain is always a great starting spot to get a relatively cheap board and case. Or you can find similar slotted stuff on Ebay and put it in an old rolling suitcase or a softcase by Pedaltrain, Mono, etc. I also would recommend NYC pedalboards if you want a hard case, for a reasonably priced board with options for angle/straight and a stock size or a custom dimension board.

paulikus

I just tried a new active tapestry bloomery at a local music store. Nice build, smooth, and gradual sweep but 2 deal breakers for me... I only had this volume pedal in the chain but I noticed more high end with the pedal in the chain. Don't know if this change if I had my other 8-9 pedals in front of it.
2nd thing is the full position is pressed past the horizontal position. I don't understand. Too bad, because this pedal could have been the one!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom