Pedal Board Project: Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TJe153, Feb 12, 2008.

1. TJe153

TJe153 Supporting Member

Hello Everyone, Let me describe my current rig.

I have a fender strat (one of the first squier models) which I love to death. Im seriously thinking about a new Gibson Studio but I need to try it on first.

My amp is a Fender Princeton Chorus - Great Overdrive tone, reverb and chorus. Although the footswitch broke, I will get another one so I can have control over the onboard effects. Easy Fix.

Now - Here is what i'm thinking: Boss Tu-2 Tuner -> Boss CS-3 Comp -> Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver) -> Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive -> Morley Power Wah/Vol pedal -> amp. Then the aforementioned Fender amp footswitch (for chorus and amp overdrive).

I recently was able to procure the Blues Driver and the Daddy-o on ebay so thats taken care of.

I mostly play rock, blues, Jam, and some slide.

Any Suggestions? How do I power these bad boys? is there a all in one power supply in existence? Do the daisy chains work with danelectro pedals and morley? Which power supplies are good for eliminating hum without wiping out my bank account? Also - any need for a noise gate?

Thanks in advance - Have a great day!

2. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

welcome!

try the voodoo lab : http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

ones like these will give you isolated,stable power to each pedal...no hum. thats what you want to look for.

there are a bunch of others offering the same features but the VL seems to be the standard and get my vote..buy it once never deal with power again.

3. TJe153

TJe153 Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply Dave -

I will look into grabbing one of those shortly.

Thanks for the advice!

4. jdier

jdier Member

few thoughts: the wah should go earlier in your chain... right after the tuner.

For power I would suggest a set of rechargable batteries.

If you want to be battery free, then the TU-2 with the right power adaptor should be able to power most of your pedals with a daisy chain.

I do not know much about other power options but from my reading understand that the Voodoo power solution is the best.

5. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

yes the TU2 can be used as a power source with a daisy chain cable that boss makes..forgot about that..try it out. with wahs and such having an isolated power unit can be best and quiet..but the boss daisy cable is alot cheaper and could suit your needs? i use my TU2 to power an led in a A/B box only so im not sure..ive always used V. Lab.

6. TJe153

TJe153 Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses.

Any other advice as far as linking these bad boys together? (Pedal Order)

Also - does everyone use a tube screamer? They seem to be everywhere..... Its that the current distortion standard?

7. trushack

trushack Member

Pedal order can go any number of ways. I'd do this:

TU-2 goes first OR last (I put mine last because there's a fuzz first in my chain that likes an unadulterated guitar signal).

CS-3: I'd put this first (or after the TU-2 if you put that first)

Wah: Really, this could go just about anywhere. With two overdrives, you could even bookend them around the wah so that one is after and one is before, giving you different intensity and tonal qualitoes depending on what you have clicked on at the moment.

Overdrives: Again, we've got several combinations possible. I'd start with setting one for light drive/boost duty, and the other with more grit and distortion. Figure out which one does which job best, and set them accordingly. Then to start, I'd put the light drive/boost one first and the grittier one second and see how they work in tandem. Then you can bring the wah into the picture and experiment with order that way.

I don't think I'm out of bounds when I say that guitarists NEVER stop tweaking their pedal settings or signal chain order, even after they have it all figured out. :)

8. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

9. jdier

jdier Member

I would do something like this:

Wah or envelope or phaser
    Compressor
    distortion
    chorus/flanger
    delay

I usually only have 1 or 2 pedals in use, but that is the basic order I follow.

there is a great youtube with david grissom (sp?) where he talked in depth about order.

Tube Screamer? they are cheap and sound pretty darn good. I am not a huge fan of using them for full on distortion, more for a lighter drive then I use something like an MXR Distortion + or Boss DS-1 for full on distortion, but that is just me.

10. TJe153

TJe153 Supporting Member

Thanks for the continuing advice - this forum is full of awesome and helpful people. Glad I joined.

Ive seen alot of ad's for pedal mods - and im not sure how I feel about installing them myself. Although i am a educated individual with a steady hand and a soldering iron - im still a bit uneasy about cracking open a new pedal and installing (and removing) capacitors and chips.

For now - ill stick to stock. Maybe later - Il get adventurous.

11. jdier

jdier Member

check out BYOC pedals. If you buy one of their pedal kits you get a little PCB with caps and all to learn on. You can also stop at your local hobby shop and likely find some $5-$15 electronics kits for learning soldering. Once you do that you are only $30 away from modding a Boss DS-1 into a fancy distortion pedal.

I am just (JUST) getting started with this. The BYOC method is good, and also, if you have a crybaby, those are very simple mods too. Start slow and build your confidence. I am looking forward to having fun and learning about electronics.

12. TJe153

TJe153 Supporting Member

Hello Everyone -

Got the BD-2 and the Daddy-o in the mail today. I have the BD setup for regular mellow blues overdrive and the daddy-o for some more boost/punch for solos. Things are sounding well and there will be more pedals to come!

Thanks again for all of your help - ill keep you posted on the next pedals to arrive.

TJ