1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pedal board reviews!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Mar 7, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

There are a lot of good pedal boards on the market now so I would like to know what boards you like? I hear of nyc, trailer trash ect. what are some boards you like what are some of the unique qualities of different boards? It has been 26 years since I've bought one and a lot's changed. Please help.--Thank you

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

The only problem I have with TT is that for the price, you could pretty much buy all of the woodworking tools you'd need to DIY. But in terms of look and function, I think they make the best ones out there. I opted for the PedalTrain Pro because I don't want to set it and forget it... I want to keep tweaking and changing pedals out. This seems to be the best way, for me. If I wasn't in my cover band, I'd probably have a much smaller board.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I like the RockOn boards - well made, relatively cheap, gigbag. I'm big on having a second tier for the pedals in the back row, so it was a no-brainer for me.

4. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I could'nt find a website for rockon boards, do you know what it is?

5. Yek

Yek Member

The TT ones do look beautiful. But as soon as you want to make a change, you're in trouble. It'll mess up the design and away goes the beauty.

I had a custom one made by a flight case builder. I can drill new holes if I want to and change pedals. Link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~engelen/pics/pedalboard%203-3-06.JPG

Pedaltrain looks nice too but the PP2 will not fit under it.

There's a collection of pedalboard links on this page on my site. Look under 'pedalboards'.
    Link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~engelen/links.htm

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

PP2 fits under the PedalTrain Pro. All the cool kids are doing it. :)

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I ordered a NYC Gigman pedal board with a second tier, a couple of weeks ago. I just got the email that it's out on the truck for delivery!!! I'll be receiving it tonight. I'll post pics later.

8. prsflame

prsflame Member

Rockon Pedlaboards are exceptional value for the $$. The carrying case was great for storing cables, strings, etc. I used to own one, and as I needed to "upgrade" several months ago, I gave it to a friend who is a bassist, who is using it heavily with no issues.

I am currently using a Pedlatrain board. No issues so far. Sturdy construction, and the carrying case is pretty sturdy, although a bit on the heavy side.

Since my band has to travel by air quite a bit for gigs, I have a "second" smaller board with just the essentials that I travel with. I just custom ordered a Stopin-Ground. board and ATA case for it. These boards/cases are pricey, but the quality seems to be top notch. It should arrive within the next 3 weeks.

9. iggs

iggs Member

I like my SKB PS-45. Comes with a regulated and conditioned PS, 8 isolated 100mA 9VDC outs, enough space for me, I've built a little riser for the second row pedals which works great and added some foam to the inside of the lid. I know some people were complaining about the quality of the send/return loop jacks, not using them so I would not know but they look sturdy enough and the in/out jacks that I am using are working just fine. Also has 3 xtra power outlets for those ac adapters powering non 9v pedals.

10. erksin

erksin Member

Sure - www.rockonpedalboards.com

11. reverber8

reverber8 Member

NYC Pedalhead owner here. Good value for the price. Carpet and Velco design allows for easy reconfigs/pedal switches. Keeps my pedal investments secure and safe and really cuts down on setup/break down time.

I really like the look of the Trailer Trash but not being unable to easily reconfig pedal set ups is a negative. Plus they are expensive too.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Gpro34, excellent idea for a thread. Why didn't I think of it?

I built my own, but definitely am on the lookout for a good pedalboard at an okay price.

Keep 'em coming, and guys, go into DETAIL, please...what's good about it, what's not, does it come with power (a minus for me, since I'm in Norway), what size and about how many pedals can you get on it. Is it sturdy? Are the pedals safe in the attache/gigbag/whatever is used to transport it, any extras? How easy to route cabling?

This has the possibility to be a great thread!

13. LilSteve

LilSteve Member

Does anybody have pricing for Pedalgear pedalboards?

14. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Wow, great prices! It say's its made of pvs so I am assuming it must be light? With that two tier system is it easy to fold up without pedals clanking around? and what about transporting, do they have a fold up case?

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Tonebone Boneyard owner here. If you need a board that is 36X14" of useable space, you can't find a better one. Solid as a diamond with a velcro carpeting that'll never cause you any frustration. Comes with a generous amount of velcro as well.

Can't recommend this enough, if the board is a good size for you (only comes in one size last time I checked).

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-boneyard.htm

Everything written on the site is dead-on accurate. Another top-quality product from the boys at Radial

16. erksin

erksin Member

Yep - it's made of some kind of resin composite thats super light. On the second tier of my board, I have some taller boxes and haven't had a problem stuffing it into the gigbag that is included. They give you tons of velcro too.

My only problem was underestimating the amount of pedals I was going to buy later - I have 9 stuffed onto mine (a buffer is under the shelf) and would love to add 1 or 2 more!

[​IMG]

17. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

I've had a bunch of them. First was one of those gray carpet covered boxes made by some company that's since gone out of business. Big, cheap but poorly constructed and a pain to haul around.

I've had both the original PedalTrain (still use it) and the PedalTrain Pro (great but too heavy with the ATA case, now that he has soft cases I might get one again). PedalTrain boards are a great design and are very cool if you switch pedals around a lot.

I had a RockOn board. Very light, very good price. But I went through one of my phases and wanted more pedals than would fit.

Most recently is the TrailerTrash board. Nice soft case for hauling it around, good size and very pimpin' looks. Mine has the velcro top which made moving pedals easy (although I did drill holes to route cables under the board). I ordered it from MusicToyz (and didn't have any custom work done by Rooster) but it was still more expensive than the other boards.

Now that I've sold a bunch of pedals and bought a G-System I'm on the search again. The G-System plus two expession pedals will be about 32" wide and my TrailerTrash is 28".

After going through all of these I've found that a soft case with a shoulder strap is very important to me. I don't fly my board much but I do use it frequently for local gigs. A big, heavy hard case is actually a detriment to me.

So my recommendations would be: if you want something affordable and don't need to carry a lot of pedals go for the RockOn. If you need something bigger, go for a PedalTrain (the ATA-style case if you fly or truck your board a lot, soft otherwise). If you want a great board that looks fantastic (and price isn't an issue) get a TrailerTrash.

18. nek

nek Member

http://www.ngmpedalboards.com/

NGM Pedalboards did a great job for me a couple years ago, super durable - great price, first with their standard pedalboard and then a custom one made to my specifications.

19. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

I really like the stuff from Pedal Pad

www.pedalpad.com

I have the smaller one (AXS) and it does just what I need, and quite well. I saw quite a few of the cats down on Broadway (Nashville) using them last year. I can see why.

20. erksin

erksin Member

BTW - this is the smallest version RockOn makes, there are larger sizes available...