Pedal Boards for flying

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lemonadesam, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Lemonadesam

Lemonadesam Member

I'd like a pedal board that is safe to check on an airplane.

I like the design of NYC pedal boards but it mentions that its not recommended to check them on an airplane... maybe because the latches aren't recessed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Ryan

2. lakesider

lakesider Member

go small and light if you can.

here's what I did.
    find a bag that will fit inside a suitcase and design your board around it.
    Inside your suitcase will protect things pretty good. I use George L's when
    I'm flying because it saves Considerable Weight. I've also substituted lighter
    pedals in some cases. Weight overage charges especially overseas have gone through the roof. It is worth it to come up with a scaled down light rig. I use batteries only on my fly board because it cuts down on needed cabling and the need for a transformer overseas.

funky batteries only Don & Dewey model board w old Alesis Drum machine bag
    [​IMG]

3. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I fly a Pedaltrain board a lot. I mean a LOT. I use a loaded "2" model and it weighs about 35 lbs. case and all. I can put extra strings, picks, tools, cables, straps and a wah in the extra space inside the hard case and still not break 50 lbs. The JR will be even lighter.

For what it's worth, the hard case has done very well over the last year and a half. It's all beat up now, and I've lost a rivet here and there, but it's holding on. I watched it sit in the rain on the tarmac for a half an hour and it protected everything very well. I also swear that it's been run over once or twice! But, that's the airport for you.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Don't know if it's big enough but I've carried on my guitar and a PedalTrain Jr. and put them in the overhead bins.

5. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member