• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Pedal Builder w the Best Ears..

squishcat

Dunwich Amps, Nick Williams. Dude nails the sounds of multiple genres and the build quality is impeccable.

The best Hm-2 (modified heavy metal) and FZ-2 (witchfinder) out there, amongst countless others.

the.godfather

I think it's pretty tough to argue with Robert Keeley. I've tried so many of his pedals over the years and I still don't think I've tried a 'bad' or 'useless' one yet. Usually at a good price point too.

BearBryan

I think it's pretty tough to argue with Robert Keeley. I've tried so many of his pedals over the years and I still don't think I've tried a 'bad' or 'useless' one yet. Usually at a good price point too.
Yeah, the only two builders who I haven’t sold any of their pedals that I’ve picked up are Keeley and Analogman.

Moody Tuner

I have not used any but am waiting for the Magnetic effects Sandare OD to be available again.
Think he'll fit the bill. He was a touring musician > pedal builder, UK.
Pedals are built one at a time & are surprisingly reasonable. Available in short bursts.
What struck me the most was that all his pedals are available in India & at reasonable prices.
The graphic work is also stellar.
Name: Christian Livingstone of worldwide touring band ’The Datsuns’
If I’m understanding you correctly: You’re advertising a builder whose pedal you’ve ordered but haven’t played yet in a thread about pedal makers who have great ears. How can you vouch for a builder whose products you don’t own or have tried yet?

stevenlaumer

Not a single mention of Josh Scott? His ear for overdrive is second to none. The Morning Glory, Superbolt, Kilt, Moonshine and Twin Twelve are suburb and are the best in class for those kind of topologies. I could play a board with just the current JHS lineup and it would be awesome. AND I would still sound like the me I hear in my head because his stuff does not intrude on your personality, just enhance it and make it sound better than anyone else.

lavinci

Have u ever gotten a really superb overdrive or boost where everything is just right, intuitively designed, and most of all sounding perfect. Like that target tone in your head, or better, even..?

The first Greenchild drive pedal I purchased really hit me that way,
I later purchased every pedal in his line,
I thought, “this guy thinks like a musician”

My RaingerFX Echo-X Delay is brilliant, and works perfectly for its purpose.
Or the Alexander Amnesia modulated Delay, the way he designed that is brilliant,
and it sounds exactly like it should, for what I use it for...

Have u ever identified with a pedal builder where you just trust his ears?
@analogmike has golden ears...
Mike P. can look at a Transistor and hear it even before he solders it onto a circuit board... AMZAZING ears...
It is rumored that he is hundreds of years old, some-kind-of ancient analog druid or elf!
Analogman we do pedals right!

Vaibhav Joshi

If I’m understanding you correctly: You’re advertising a builder whose pedal you’ve ordered but haven’t played yet in a thread about pedal makers who have great ears. How can you vouch for a builder whose products you don’t own or have tried yet?
I am not advertising for anything here. I heard & read on these pedals, found them a good deal. The description of the the thread got me thinking about this builder since he used to play live. The last statement makes that pretty clear.
If I have to go with experience, I can only vouch for Mooer but you tell me what you'd rather prefer..

Lupus87

The top for me (in no particular order):

David Barber - Barber Electronics
Marc Ahlfs - Skreddy Pedals
Simon Jarrett - Kingsley Amplifiers
Mike Piera - Analogman
Björn Juhl - BJFE
Stephen Pettyjohn - Pettyjohn Electronics
Peter Rutter - VFE Pedals

Most of their pedals are original designs or smart takes on classic pedals. All are well tuned extremely functional tools without unnecessary options.

Tabor

Top Ears ime:
C) Simon Labelle @FairfieldCircuitry
Nice list :aok (We seem to like a lot of the same builders).

fwiw I'm pretty sure it's Guillaume Fairfield who is the founder of Fairfield Circuitry (and I assume the main creative force behind the company). Here's an interview with him about the Barbershop.

Also you can see the shop at 10:50 in this video where @chaseblissaudio visits Guillaume to ask for his input on Joel's plan to destroy (or reincarnate?) Steve Bragg of Empress. Simon is the "carebear" at the front desk.

johnetone

Nice list :aok (We seem to like a lot of the same builders).

fwiw I'm pretty sure it's Guillaume Fairfield who is the founder of Fairfield Circuitry (and I assume the main creative force behind the company). Here's an interview with him about the Barbershop.

Also you can see the shop at 10:50 in this video where @chaseblissaudio visits Guillaume to ask for his input on Joel's plan to destroy (or reincarnate?) Steve Bragg of Empress. Simon is the "carebear" at the front desk.
Nice man, yeah Simon always responds to my emails so I figured he was the one! Lol. But of course the guy with the last name that matches the company name is the real wizard! derp.

It’s funny how out of my list they’re the company I’ve least researched about, but how epic I think their products are!

Something about their aesthetic of being somewhat faceless and utilitarian in nature has kept me from looking into who they are, what they look like and all that stuff.

Lupus87

Top Ears ime:

A) Zak & Morgan @Spaceman
B) @Dave Fox @FoxRox
C) Guillaume Fairfield @FairfieldCircuitry
D) John Lyons @basicaudio
E) @Tom Von Kramm Spiral Electric FX
F) Simon Jarret @Kingsley Amplification

Edit: Simon is still awesome! But I inserted Guillame’s name in for FC. thanks @Tabor !
John Lyons! I concur, He's great.

Don't forget Yuki Hayashi from Providence (formerly) and Free the Tone, and Jeorge Tripps from Way Huge/MXR/Dunlop.

Honorable mentions to Michael Milcetic from MJM FX and Michael Knappe from Diamond Pedals (the canadian troupe is awesome).

Trending Topics