Pedal Builders Who Have Disappeared - Unsolved Mysteries Edition

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Apr 13, 2016.

1. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Coldcraft went quiet, sadly.

@aziltz

Charmless likes this.
  2. teleking36

teleking36 Member

I'm a month away from turning 33, and this thread is making me feel super old. Here's what I remember from my early TGP days and getting into the effects game as a ripe 21-22 year old kid fresh out of college:

Psionic Audio - I own the Lavaflow ABY Switcher. Insanely impressive piece of gear that I still use. Don't know the whole story on them, but I don't think it ended well for that company.

Burriss Effects - Boostier... remember that one?

Dreamtone - Sexy Vibes - This guy built me a tremolo in 2005/2006 that still half works to this day! My younger brother has it and absolutely swears by it as a clean boost. He used little kid stickers and wrote in paint marker on the enclosure

Phoenix Custom - Someone else mentioned this company. I was an early adopter of the Lady Stardust fuzz and another pedal I can't remember the name of. Long gone by now, but I remember digging the Lady Stardust! Cool graphics too!

Blackbox - Oxygen Comp and Quicksilver Delay - I had both of these pedals at one time or another, before I really knew how to use either effectively. I recall the Quicksilver being an expensive delay at the time (2005).

If I go through the first few pages of my Photobucket account, I'm sure it'll bring back a ton of memories and nostalgia. It's crazy how far guitar effects have come in 10 years.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Auditory Driving likes this.
  3. Caprica

Caprica Member

4. mondo500

mondo500 Member

I miss Frostwave pedals, but Paul Perry moved on to other endeavours some time ago. Would love a Fat Controller to go with my Resonator...

Squatch57 likes this.
  5. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I actually looked up his pedals on eBay the other day! I saw a Boost, Electric Smiles and Not So Ole Yeller. I remember Alpha Music selling them because HL worked there. They were the first "boutique" pedals that I remember seeing. He had some mean chops and great feel when playing! And just a nice, laid back kinda guy, I randomly saw him in a Walmart a few years ago. I said hey to him, but he wouldn't have known me from Adam.

55hz and Glitch Magnet like this.
  6. AuroraTide

AuroraTide Member

I still have my Drive-O-Matic. Paid $15 for it 10ish years ago. I'll throw it in my board from time to time. Too many memories to let it go now.

Blues Lyne likes this.
  7. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Lyle Caldwell (Psionic Audio) is still active. He produces a batch of Telos pedals every so often, but it seems like he's doing more amp repair and mods than anything else these days.

8. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

Asonix- I had the Nite-Owl (early one with effects loop), their take on "American amps" (Boogie). I could only get Carlos Santana out of it though. I'd like another crack at it.....

9. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

I've got a Cobalt preamp.

It really has got it's own sound.

Don Rusk likes this.
  10. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

This thread makes me really appreciate companies like Analogman, Keeley, Fulltone, etc. Lots of hard work and dedication to stay around for for so long.

chilln, Kelly and tapeup like this.
  11. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Whatever happened to Fireman FX from way back in the day? The Red Baron and the Beagle Boost?

12. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

Says something to still be here.

13. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

You don't know what you've got till its gone I suppose.

14. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Blues Lyne and hippieboy like this.
  15. kushman

kushman Member

what ever happened with H.B.E. Homebrew Electronics? I have 3 of their pedals and they're great

Baemer, roblovesolives and edwinhong like this.
  16. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

17. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member

I thought I remember looking up Phoenix Custom Electronics not too long ago and seeing that they're still active? I'm probably mistaken though, as I never hear anyone mention them anymore, and rarely see their pedals on the used market. It's a shame because they made some cool stuff. I still have a very cool custom fuzz of theirs.

That Blackbox Quicksilver was one of the first boutique delays I remember pining over back in the day, wow that brings back memories, hah!

18. Agent76

Agent76 Member

Amazing thread. I had no idea several of these werent still around. I guess I havent paid much attention in the past few years.

19. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Axess Electronics made some great gear... a cool buffer, midi loop switchers, and a couple of midi contollers. Catered mostly to the huge rack crowd at at time when everyone was going to pedal boards. If Mario would have integrated his technologies into a form factor that catered to us pedalboard guys, he would have been way ahead of anything in the market.

Last I heard he was working for Mesa Boogie.

20. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

I wish I still had mine! I haven't liked any octavia as much since....

analogmike likes this.