Pedal Builders Who Have Disappeared - Unsolved Mysteries Edition

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Apr 13, 2016.

1. stahlhart

stahlhart Member

Well, since this is a thread about pedal builders who have disappeared, I recalled that I had read in my travels that there was some talk about the guy behind this company reissuing at least the octave divider.

There is a boutique clone available (the Vivider), which would be my next option.

Edit: answered my own question, never mind -- https://mu-fx.com/store/pedals/octave-divider/

chankgeez likes this.
  2. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

OceanFx, although Corby pops in here every 6 months or so. Every time one of his pedals pops up I grab it.

3. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

Yeah, I was gonna ask "where've you been recently?"

Mike Beigel has been active again as a builder for a little while now. Apparently, he's even using the Mu-Tron name again.

stahlhart likes this.
  4. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

5. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

What I know...

ProAnalog - Very much alive and well.
    Geek Mac Daddy - I believe very much alive and well.
    Shannon - He did the Helios and one other OD and that was the last gasp.
    Joe Gagan - Very much alive and well.
    KR - Sells on Reverb these days and only lists when he has something to ship (order fulfillment was a big issue for him).
    SIB - I believe very much alive and well.
    Speedster - The original owner sold the company. The new owners tried to make it work but closed shop (I want to say the were lawyers or corporate types looking to get in on the boutique business).
    Browntone - The Hoochie Mama was a nice pedal but it was a 1:1 clone of the Clark Gainster, so not all is lost.
    Morgan Miller/MMFX - Long gone. Morgan got deployed which slowed him down and then lost damn near everything in a house fire. I know this because I bought his remaining parts inventory from him around 10 years ago.

A couple of blasts from the past...

Farndurk
    Blues Pearl - Not Robert Hudson but the guys who tried to revive the pedal line.
    Remember the guy who was going to build The Gear Page overdrive?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    sanfi4u and Don Rusk like this.
  6. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I stopped building (GtrWrks) after a sudden, unexpected and very unwanted divorce in the early summer of 2014. It takes a lot of passion for a one-man shop like mine was to do everything related to the business. When my marriage abruptly ended, 100% of the passion for ANYTHING in Life was sucked out of me.

The passion to play an instrument finally returned - I ended a fun touring job and completely quit playing guitar also. It returned and I have returned to the stage/studio and am playing for fun at home daily as I 'always' have. I guess I somewhat expect the passion to build will return - but there's so many really great things on the market these days it seems fairly pointless.

your name here and coltonius like this.
  7. Scott57

Scott57 Member

First name I thought of reading the title.

8. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

How is SNOUSE iffy?

9. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

fOXX has come and gone twice now, first time in the 70's and then they came again RI'ing some of their original stuff during the mid 2000's. At one point, I had the last fOXX octave fuzz from their RI stage.

10. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Not sure if this has been answered, but Theo Hartman did indeed close up shop and took a lucrative job as an audio designer/sound engineer of sorts in California. Good dude and will be missed but it seems like a good move for him. The LM308 was one of my first boutique pedals.

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

At the time I posted, it looked like he had nearly disappeared. But what a return!

Mike R. and coltonius like this.
  12. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Cool, man! All the best to you in 2018 :)

Auditory Driving likes this.
  13. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

14. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Glad my Wrath didn’t sell when I listed it a while ago thinking, “I’ll just get another later when I have the money”. I’ve had a few original Rat pedals over the years and the Wrath take on it is my favorite.