Pedal Chain: Front-fed vs FX Loop

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DeadCell, May 28, 2015.

1. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

So I've recently acquired a new amp, a Vox Night Train 15 combo. Up until now, my sole amp was a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Well, now that I have two amps, I want to use my pedals with both amps and not have to worry about unplugging all of these cables when swapping amps. Plus, this would make my pedalboard more portable, where it's plug and play.

How many of you guys run your time-based pedals into the front end, despite the FX Loop being available? Could you see any tonal problems going on with this?

Of course, I know that I won't be able to run something like a looper with the clean channel and swap to a dirt channel, but that's fine since I have an overdrive available.

2. seibertdr

seibertdr Member

I just recently changed my board so that I could do the same thing. I have a Line 6 M9 so it makes it easy. I have all my dirt running into the M9 and then into the front of both of my amps. Sounds great. The delays are more pronounced. Now I am able to do other delay effects that I couldn't before such as ping-pong. I sounds great. I am loving the tone that I am getting right now. You may have to dial back the delay a little bit in the mix as it can get a little mushy.

3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

If using amp dirt, I always use the effects loop regardless. If I'm using pedals for dirty tones, into the front it goes. I still can't find a way to make delay sound good into a dirty amp like a lot of people here like to do. And only certain delays apparently sound good doing that according to the delay clan here (Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Strymon El Capistan, etc.).

4. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

I think I'll give it a shot and see how it sounds. Maybe break out the SM57 and record just to see what kind of tonal differences it yields.

5. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

For most of my playing career I had all of my pedal in front of a dirty amp. I then started using an effects loop and really liked how clear the repeats of my delays were and also how my tremolo wasn't effecting my OD tone. Then, just last week, I put everything back out front again because I got annoyed with connecting and disconnecting the extra cables and now I can't decide which I like better.

My experience comparing the two is this:

Into A Dirty Amp:
    With effects in the loop, the effects will be cleaner and clearer and will hardly be effected by changes to amp setting or front of amp pedal setting changes. Also, volume based effects (tremolo, volume pedal) will not effect the amps overdrive. With effects in front of the amp, the effects will be HEAVILY effected by changes to to the settings of any effects after them and amp setting changes, which can make them a bit hard to control if you use any pedals that boost your amp volume (clean boost, treble booster, etc). They will also be distorted by the OD from the amp and therefore will be less clean and clear. Also, volume based effects will change the amount of overdrive from your amp.

One is not necessarily better than the other, it just depends on what you're going for and how your using your amp and effects. I am currently leaning towards only having my delay in the loop as I'm enjoying how dynamic my trem in front of my amp feels.

Into A Clean Amp:
    Unless you're boosting your amp significantly, it makes little to no difference whether the effects are in the loop or out in front.

As always, YMMV, IMHO, yadda yadda.