• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Pedal Cleaning And Maintenance

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
My board gets totally fowl with grime, and every 6 months I bring it home and tear it down.
I use a slightly damp cloth to get all the smegma off.
How do you clean filthy pedals, and what other maintenance should I do?
Do People spray contact cleaner in the in and outputs?
Thanks for the help.

coltonius

Señor Member
Simple.. Flip em every few months! You'll only have to do minor dusting before sending them off into the world and receiving a newer, cleaner pedal!

:sarcasm

DaveKS

Light wet rag or alcohol if gooey stuff. Dusting with dry cosmetic brush or canned air.

Deoxit gold, wipe light coat on contacts in jack and plugs with qtip when new stops most future corrosion on those from happening. It's also a mild contact cleaner as well as protectant.

Don't spray contact cleaner in you jacks.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Simple.. Flip em every few months! You'll only have to do minor dusting before sending them off into the world and receiving a newer, cleaner pedal!

:sarcasm
It's funny because it is true.

A soft damp cloth (t-shirt scrap) and compressed air are powerful tools. Dual lock only where needed instead of full spans of hook side Velcro is another 'best practice.'

Where is the pedal board 'living' that needs to be brough home from? Is it traveling in the band trailer or living at the practice space/jam room?

rck

-Goo Gone for sticky residue

-Cleaning Wipes wrapped in cloth for general cleaning/dusting

-Compressed air can for dusting

-pencil with cloth wrapped for dusting to get to tiny spaces b/n knobs, etc...

-wire brush to clean attached velcro of pet/human hair, carpet fibers...be careful not to scratch finish of pedal.

Alchemy Audio

Here's what I do when I have pedals on the bench for repairs / mods:
Wipe down enclosure with a rag and mild cleaner - using a Q-tip to reach any tight spaces (in between knobs, edges of Boss pedals, etc.)
If there is any sticky residue on the enclosure, Goo Gone works well.
Spray Caig DeOxit D5 on a patch cable plug and work it in and out of each jack a few times (optional: giggle like a 12 year old boy).
If the potentiometers are accessible, I'll also spray some DeOxit in each one and work the knob through its full rotation a few times. Then, use compressed air to clear away any debris and dry the DeOxit.
Tighten any nuts / screws / knobs (and replace any that are missing).
In the case of Boss pedals, replace the rubber grommet holding the thumb screw - which gets brittle with age.

dllb

I use a slightly damp cloth to get all the smegma off.
The best way to.reduce smegma buildup is to wear pants while you play. Of course it might be unavoidable if you`re in the house band at the local strip club.

elevenstrings

Might sound like a non-serious reply - but baby wipes work perfect for cleaning pedals and get all that dust out of hard-to-reach areas. :banana

Trending Topics