1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

pedal construction/wiring question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ezcomes, May 16, 2011.

1. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

the huminator
    http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/Huminator/index.htm

was looking to build this for my one spot...but...was wondering...i tried emailing the guy, no response...

if 9V are going into the system...using the 100ohm resistor, shouldn't the resistor be a 1W not 1/2W?

P=I x E = (E/R) x E
    With 9 volts coming in via a one spot, and then through a 100ohm resistor, P=(9/100) x 9 = 0.81W

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

It'll work just fine. The current flow is decided by the pedal(s), so the actual "heat" that resistor will see is not that much.

Whether or not it will actually make a difference with a 1spot is a different matter, though. That circuit is designed to filter out low frequency hum (120Hz ripple left over by the rectification process in the adapter), but switching adapters like the 1spot have their ripple shifted to a much higher frequency range. If you have a problem with the 1spot now, it's more likely to be a ground loop or pedal interaction issue.

3. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

so...if i had a ground loop issue, introducing a bit of hum...if this build wouldn't do it, how could i fix this?

4. dlab

dlab Member

Say you have hum in your rig. If it comes and goes, it's most likely the electrical wiring where you're playing. In that case, I don't know that there's much that you can do short of upgrading to an isolated and regulated supply :-(