Pedal couplers vs cables

Drop D Cups

Silver Supporting Member
Are pedal couplers a better choice than cables for connecting effects together? Seems logical they would be, but does anyone have experience to suggest cables are a better choice?

turtleheadblues

What they are getting at is that those couplers usually do not work well. The pedals rarely sit level and adds stress to the pedal jacks. I tried them once and never again.

Drop D Cups

Silver Supporting Member
In my case, I have 6 of the Hardwire pedals where the side jacks line up. Seems like I have a real opportunity to reduce cabling and noise with couplers.

echoes90

One major problem I can see with couplers is that because they join two pedals together with no flex between, when stepping on one pedal the next attached pedal recieves pressure on it's input jack, which I would think over a period of time wouldn't do the jack any good. This could be worse if the jacks are PCB mounted.

They also limit where you can place pedals on a board as not all pedals have jacks located on the sides.

The only pros of using couplers would be that they can save space and they might preserve signal more as there is little to no cable between pedals.

I think if you're using sets of identical pedals like you say it'd be ok. just make sure the pedals are securely attached to a board with something with no give in it whatsoever to make sure one stomp doesn't put a lot of pressure on all the jacks of all your pedals.

You might just rather find some 3" patch cables, they don't take up much room at all, especially if you stagger your pedals slightly.

David-R

Silver Supporting Member
One major problem I can see with couplers is that because they join two pedals together with no flex between, when stepping on one pedal the next attached pedal recieves pressure on it's input jack, which I would think over a period of time wouldn't do the jack any good. This could be worse if the jacks are PCB mounted.
This is definitely true. The couplers might work well if you have soft switches like the newer Lovepedal products and don't step hard on the switch, but when I used them with other pedals you can definitely see the "flex".

Drop D Cups

Silver Supporting Member
I am using a Pedaltrain board and see very little pedal flex with the Hardwires. I am going to give them a shot and report back.

One of the problems I have found on my board is hissing. Changing the power supply helped but there is still a bit. All of the cables used are George L's but you can still hear it. Plugging the guitar directly in to the amp eliminates it, so it is definitely my board setup.

evanjackson

Gold Supporting Member
I was thinking of using couplers once but didn't because of this.

-analog-

Are pedal couplers a better choice than cables for connecting effects together? Seems logical they would be, but does anyone have experience to suggest cables are a better choice?

Your better off sticking with soldered patch cables for your pedalboard- No hassle, no preventitive maintenance & a good set can last you a lifetime. Look for a flexible cable with G&H or SwitchCraft 223 connectors- can't go wrong.

fiddler49

Besides the straight across couplers that you can use on same manufacturer pedals, there are also offset couplers that can compensate for the differences in in/out jack placement. I've been using offset couplers for years, and have had only one break (very cheaply built brand that I will never buy again). In fact, I have one that I've been using for 25 years with no problems.

eclipseall

What they are getting at is that those couplers usually do not work well. The pedals rarely sit level and adds stress to the pedal jacks. I tried them once and never again.

I dont use them either. Once I took a pedal of the board, the pedal cupler broke and the jack remained jammed inside the pedal. They are usless IMO.

fiddler49

Besides the straight across couplers that you can use on same manufacturer pedals, there are also offset couplers that can compensate for the differences in in/out jack placement. I've been using offset couplers for years, and have had only one break (very cheaply built brand that I will never buy again). In fact, I have one that I've been using for 25 years with no problems.
A couple options for offset couplers:

http://www.music123.com/Musicians-Gear-Offset-Metal-Effect-Pedal-Coupler-330080-i1128324.Music123

http://www.music123.com/Monster-Cab...Offset-Cable-Coupler-330042-i1172375.Music123

Bongo Jonny

I have used the golden type in the post above, they are nice but I found that the output jack on the pedal was not horizontal and as such the connecting plug was raising the neighbouring pedal slightly off the board. So with both velcroed down some unnecessary stress is induced somewhere.It also meant I couldn't unplug one pedal at a time and had a couple of problems during practise, when trying to take one of the pedals out of the chain.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
I used couplers in a Boss pedalboard with Boss pedals for 25 years with no problems.

So assuming there are no problems with lining them up and/or stability of the pedals on the board, they are a better choice than cables, correct?