Pedal Current Draw List?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by delay_monster, Jul 6, 2006.

1. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Is there a comprehensive (or relatively so) list of current draw of popular pedals? I found one, but it doesn't have any MXR pedals or Line 6 stuff; it's mostly boss pedal info. Thanks!

Matt

2. aarockla

aarockla Member

whats current draw? sorry id ont get what that means

3. theelectic

theelectic Guest

It refers to how much power the pedal draws, and the unit is milliamps (mA) which is independent from the voltage required (usually 9V).

Another rule of thumb, a 9V alkaline battery typically has roughly 300mAh of capacity - that is, if you ran a 300mA current draw pedal off of it, it would last for 1 hour. Conversely, if you ran a 10mA pedal off of it, it would last for 30 hours.

In general, current draw for anything non-modulation and non-digital (like a typical overdrive pedal) is usually less than 10mA. Worse comes to worse, look in the (gasp!) pedal's manual, which will usually give a current draw figure, or at the very least, an indicator of battery life. If it's rated for say, 5 hours with a 9V alkaline, figure it draws at least 60mA or more.

4. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

It's a measure of the current that a pedal draws from a power supply. There are a lot of people around here who can talk circles around me when it comes to tech stuff, so I won't embarrass myself. It's measured in amperes or milliamps.

5. tocs100

tocs100 Member

I'm pretty sure someone at GeekChat had a link to a huge list....

6. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

There is this, which I was led to just last week when I posted the very same question:

THE POWER LIST

7. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Yeah: that's the one I was referring to. Cool.. :cool: :cool: :cool:

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

BTW: you want conceptual pragmatism, check out Charles Sanders Pierce . . . or Wittgenstein is good too . . . fun stuff, very conceptual while also pragmatic . . . not as much an oxymoron as one might think.

9. tocs100

tocs100 Member

Thanks pfflam---more of an homage to Woody Allen's A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, but I dig philosophy too.