Pedal Demo's - The best sounding pedals are easy to find.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SpiritShooter, Apr 5, 2015.

1. SpiritShooter

SpiritShooter Supporting Member

Jeez, I have rarely heard a bad demo.

Makes me want to buy em all. Listening to the reviews one would think every pedal made is the best, has the best tone, and is a must have.

After years of pissing away tons of cash, and I mean years (won't even count em all) and tons, I am convinced that so much of the hype is just that and the best pedal is the one that has the best looking graphic artwork. The better the graphic artwork, the better it sounds. And, in the words of an infamous internet self proclaimed authority, it's a fact!

Thoughts?

2. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

3. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

I think the demos are getting better and the pedals are getting better. Even the graphics are getting better. Obviously, there are a few YT reviewers that can make anything sound good, so we, the consumers have to keep that in mind. Some of the reviewers are doing this as a job and their job is to sell, so keep that in mind as well (I think this is where you might find the hype). But in the end, I think the pedal designers are really getting good at their craft IMO and I'm enjoying there efforts in my limited humble way.

It is the golden era for pedals, so rejoice!

4. Kid Casseroli

Kid Casseroli Member

Reminds me of a story I read:

The Goose, the Middleman, the Idolmaker and Gomer Pyle
    I posted the link but it doesn't show. You can Google the title easily.

You'll enjoy the part about how the graphic artwork can influence the sound we hear.

I had the same impression regarding magazine reviews I've read. Never a bad one.

You must be listening to a handful of good demo players, like Pete Thorn, Mike Hermans, etc. Beyond them, yes, I've heard uninspiring demos.

5. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I avoid pedals with graphics. I prefer a plain aluminum Hammond enclosure. No labels for the knobs and no graphics. It adds a bit of mystery to the pedal when looky lewys can't figure out what it is.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The Goose... is an interesting read. Likely pretty inaccurate as a history of the Clay Jones overdrive/Landgraff overdrive (for one thing, they're both tarted up Tubescreamers, which isn't addressed). But it does illustrate the point that, in a swirly box, you can ask $500 for a Tubescreamer and folks will be impressed (to his credit Clay charged $200 and didn't cash in on the Ebay craze by building another 50 or 100 pedals).

AS to youtube demos, the big 50 pedal distortion review proved that, set in a similar way, most ODs sound pretty similar, so it's hard to figure out what something is going to meld like with your personal setup. But there is an element of GAS there, since there are only so many ways to produce overdrive and then things start to repeat themselves, ad infinitum. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy another OD, then my name shows up on the Analogman KOT list, or I see a great sale on MojoHand (both happened in the last 6 months) and I've got another couple of ODs I probably don't need. It's an illness, I tells ya!