Pedal Design Software?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mpc, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mpc

mpc Member

Does anyone have any idea what software is used for manufacturers for designing the appearance of their pedals i.e for colour/graphics/text etc?

I'm interested in designing my own housing but don't know which software to start with?

Thanks

2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Inkscape...

3. manticorefx

manticorefx Member

There's nothing dedicated to pedals, as far software for making enclosures decorations and drilling layouts goes. There are a few tools for designing pedal PCBS though.

Some guys will plan things out meticulously in a CAD program, then move over to some sort of graphics software to do the labels and decals. Most just plan things out with pen and paper, or in the graphics software itself.

I'd recommend avoiding Photoshop or Gimp and go with something that uses vectors, like Inkscape. I just make a rectangle the same size as the enclosure and go from there. I include dot where I'm going to drill, so there's no need for an extra drilling template.

4. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

We use the Adobe suite

5. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Adobe Illustrator is the bomb.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

If your on a Mac look at pixelmator for bitmap layout and Inkscape for true vector rendering.

Then you need to find some actual scale templates for various enclosure sizes to use.

I use photoshop and illustrator but I work printing industry so their free for me to use. VFE supplied photoshop template and I rolled my own

[​IMG]

7. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

You can use just about any graphics software you want.

We silkscreen everything. Initial artwork sometimes starts out pencil to paper. Then in to inkscape or illustrator.

I always export the final artwork to photoshop for printing transparencies.

Inkscape is free and relatively easy to use... but if you get in to some of the more complicated functions it's far less intuitive than illustrator. Both have a learning curve if you've never dealt with vector graphics though.

8. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Amazing piece of software.