Pedal diagnosis? Code brown.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I'm at a loss for an issue I'm having with my Silver Mod TS9.

When it's in my signal path and all pedals are OFF, 2 weird things happen:

1. If I engage my tuner or coil tap on the guitar, there's a weird squiggly electronic noise that happens.

2. With all pedals off and there's a fuzz in the chain and I roll my guitar volume to zero there's a hum that pops up. Only when the fuzz and TS are in the chain together and doesn't matter which is first.

It's the only buffered pedal in my chain. This happens on battery or isolated Cioks power.

If I remove the TS9 everything functions normally. If I put a buffered boss pedal in place of it, there are no problems.

So I can't figure out if it's the buffer not playing nice or some other problem with the pedal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
Excellent troubleshooting. Sounds like you have indeed narrowed it down to the TS-9's buffered bypass.

Has it always done this?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Excellent troubleshooting. Sounds like you have indeed narrowed it down to the TS-9's buffered bypass.

Has it always done this?

I guess. I haven't had it for very long. It was a used one that I sent to Mike for the mod. I had figured out the fuzz issue a while back and dealt with it but the tuner thing was something I only really noticed recently, probably because I usually tune up before taking the amp out of standby.

That's how I noticed the fuzz and volume knob problem since I just roll it off rather than use the tuner to mute most of the time.

I actually thought my tuner was dying so I ordered a new one. Plugged it in with the same result so I narrowed it down to the TS.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
try a battery in the ts9, sounds like a power issue.

With all pedals turned off and the TS9 on a battery a background noise is introduced but goes silent when the tuner is engaged, almost like it's a reverse of the problem from when it's plugged into the PSU. A different buffered pedal on the same power tap has no weird noises. That's why I'm having trouble figuring out if it's the buffer or something else.:huh:dunno

Current signal path is

Tuner>RMC10>bicomp juicer side>whammy 5>proton v3>fuzz>TS9>POT>bicomp Ross side>choral reef>nebula IV>belle Epoch>amp

Last edited:
Two questions:

1. Does anything weird happen if you play only the TS9?

2. Have you tried it elsewhere in the pedal chain with the same results (i.e. First, last, etc.)?

Wondering if there isn't some weird impedance issue somewhere.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Two questions:

1. Does anything weird happen if you play only the TS9?

2. Have you tried it elsewhere in the pedal chain with the same results (i.e. First, last, etc.)?

Wondering if there isn't some weird impedance issue somewhere.

Good question, thanks. I'm pretty sure it works fine by itself but I'll have to check again and see if the coil tap thing happens.

I've had it in a few different spots on the board back when I was trying to figure out the fuzz hum but at that point I was unaware of the tuner, etc. noises. I'll have to look back into that. But again, a buffered boss pedal in the exact same spot has no issues with anything.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Try running the fuzz on a battery.

I have it on a battery. The TS9 problems persist with or without the fuzz. It's only when a fuzz is in the chain alongside the TS9, no matter what order they're in, that there's an additional hum when both pedals are off and the guitar volume is rolled down all the way, batteries or not for both.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
What is "the fuzz"? It seems like you are holding back on pertinent details.

Either an astrotone or swart fuzzyboost. Same result with either one. I'm not holding back on any details.

TS9 in chain = weird noises
TS9 + either fuzz = weird noises and hum
TS9 not in chain = no noises
Either Fuzz in chain w/o TS9 = no noises

Last edited:

DCPedals

If you have a multimeter, see if there is any DC voltage on the TS9 input or output jacks with the pedal ON and OFF.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Well I think I nailed it down...

Moving the proton after the TS9 gets rid of the noises.

And I feel pretty dumb because when I contacted Mike a little while back about the fuzz hum he asked if the Proton has a charge pump. I asked 3leaf, who said it doesn't, and didn't think any further of it but evidently the proton was involved in the problem, after all.

I still have no idea why the TS has to go first, though.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Hellfire it was the Whammy 5. It causes problems on either side of a fuzz pedal. I guess that was compounded by the TS buffer.

Methinks I'm gonna switch to an analog octave pedal since that's the mode I use most anyways.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom