pedal dilemma help needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DSL74, Mar 10, 2015.

1. DSL74

DSL74 Member

How can I make my MXR FET Driver sound rounder and smoother? Right now it sounds almost identical to my Hendrix JHF-1 fuzz face. I run them both (not at the same time of course) into an SL Drive in SB mode. I want the fuzz to have some edge to it, which it does, but want to smooth out the FET and get it to sound more EJ- ish. Is there another pedal I can add to get a different sound from it. (Other than replacing it with a Dover Drive.) I have both bass and treble knobs all the way down and drive knob at about 3 o'clock. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. JerS

JerS Member

You should be able to get smooth round tones with the Fet Driver. Try engaging the hi-cut and keep both hi and lo controls around halfway. Run the drive and volume about halfway up too, and adjust to taste. Running the hi and low all the way down will give you a mid "boost" - this could be the issue for you. Let us know how you make out.

3. DSL74

DSL74 Member

Thanks, I will try that. I did have the hi-cut engaged. So would it be better to run the FET into something like a DLS MKIII in super lead mode by the way?

4. JerS

JerS Member

I think you should be able to get very respectable tones with the setup you have - you have plenty of gain on tap. Probably just needs some tweaking is all!