Pedal Experts/builders - I need (1) LF442 OpAmp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RockStarNick, Feb 22, 2012.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Well, I'm in the middle of repairing a MXR CAE401 Boost Line Driver. Trying to save a few bucks doing it myself, and learning some things in the process.

Narrowed down a bunch of possible problems. Replaced 2 suspect components, and still not working. Total cost so far: $3.

Stopped in at a local electronics specialty shop, and they suggested that the opamp might have blown.

The problem is: they didn't have a replacement for me. And I really don't want to spend $5-10 on shipping for a small part like this.

Does ANYONE on here have a single LF442 opamp, or equivalent, that they could throw in the mail for me?

Your help is much, much appreciated. Thanks!!!

- nick

2. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

Spend some time to trace out the circuit fully, then logically troubleshoot the circuit.
    Thorough diagnostics will save you both time and money.
    I don't want to sound harsh, but here's the honest truth: throwing parts at a fault may result in rectification, but it will likely result in longer repairs, increased parts costs and the inevitable uncertainty of the potentially completed repair.

3. AL30

AL30 Member

A quick search gave some info on your chip. You should be able to sub in a TL072, LM833, or LM358. The TL072 is common.

I agree with Jack. Finding what's wrong with it -specifically- will take a bit longer (maybe) but you'll learn a good bit in the process. Having said that an audio probe is a fantastic tool to have around. It's a cheap, quick and easy build.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

http://diy-fever.com/misc/audio-probe/

4. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Seems like TL062, TL072, or TL082 will be fine subs. You can get TL082 at most Radio Shacks in the parts bins.

5. RockStarNick

Guys, thanks so much for the info. That Debugger wire looks like a great thing to have around - I'm going to throw one together tonight.

Where are you finding this info on opamp substitutions, anyway?

6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I just the part number. The description is "low-power JFET-input dual op amp". There are lots of subs for that. :aok

7. RockStarNick

Thanks guys. I know I'm not going about this from the proper perspective. I just want to get it up and running, for as little cash as possible.

Learning somethings along the way are a welcome bonus.

8. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

I could probably just send you a couple different op amps that would work. Or if you're close enough to me, we could meet. I'm in your general area. :)