Pedal facelift....lots of pix

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FLYING V 83, Feb 20, 2008.

1. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

So, inspired by the thread on "swirling" your own pedals on another forum(props to Gringo Loco for this info!) I decided to give my CMATMODS Signa Drive a make-over.

Here's the pedal as I got it in a trade:
    [​IMG]
    The decals were coming off, and the dull blue/green paint had seen better days.

I taped off the switches & jacks with plain scotch tape, and sanded it down smooth:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I used a mixture of Rustoleum black semi-gloss, dayglo orange &
    dayglo pink acrylic paints I had laying around, and did the "drip" method onto the pedal:
    [​IMG]

After drying overnight, I sanded it down smooth. Unfortunately, the black paint
    had contaminants, so I wound up with a lumpy surface:
    [​IMG]

After I was happy with the finish, I sprayed 3 coats of clear acrylic,
    using 0000 steel wool between coats to achieve a smoother finish:
    [​IMG]

Here's the finished pedal.
    I think it's a great new look for what was a boring looking pedal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OK, that last one was just for fun......

This whole project took about 3 nights of taping, sanding, dripping, and spraying on an already-built pedal. I'm sure it would be a faster process on an empty box.

I'm really happy with my first attempt at this.
    I've already gone to the art store & stocked up on acrylic paints, and am just looking for another "victim" on my board.....

2. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

hi flying v 83 my name is dave and im an overdrive addict...as well:AOK

nice job!! and i give you props for not taking it out of the case...thats a gutsy move...id be scared,paint and all..been messing around with that technique as well and it really is a pretty easy thing since you cant really mess up..once again nice job..cool color choices!

3. Dan-o

Dan-o Member

NICE...I just paid an extra $35 bucks for a swirl on a Mojo Drive...it was worth it as its very sweet...but this IS inspiring-thanx for sharing!

4. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Adding this to my to do list this weeeknd. So it's acrylic paint liek what you buy at an art store?

5. dave s

dave s Member

Pedal MAKEOVER is what that should have been called. :BEER And a damn NICE one at that!

I prefer the finish on yours to my donnerbox P'Mint Fuzz.

dave

6. FLYING V 83

Yup. Anita's brand.
    And I used Krylon clear gloss acrylic spray to seal it.

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

Now just take off that ugly white washer on the stompswitch. Why do builders put those on?:puh

8. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

to not scratch the beautiful finish when you tighten the nut on that switch.

9. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Could you, uh... point me toward the how-to thread?

Thanks.

:AOK

10. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Yep - how exactly did you do the dripping? I thought rustoleum black was a spray paint?

I've done a few pedal project, but i'd love to do one of these paintjobs on my next build.

Brian

11. FLYING V 83

There's a thread on it at diystompboxes but I think you have to be a member.
    I saw the thread on HC (SWIRL YOUR OWN PEDALS), and the link was temporarily active, now it's not.

They sell Rustoleum black paint in pints & quarts. But now I bought Anita's brand acrylic paints at the art store & will use them. The Rustoleum was what I had at hand when I started this. I wouldn't recommend it, it had "lumps" that resulted in extra sanding required.

I taped down a couple of old pens on an old artist's palette, and when I dripped the paint on I just tilted the palette to spread the paint.

I duct-taped the bottom plate since it was already velcroed.
    Taped off the switches & jacks with scotch tape & used an Exacto to trim to a nice fit.

Started with black, covering most of the pedal, then dripped pink & orange in various spots all around. The tilting blended everything together.

The tutorial said to use toothpicks to suspend the box & plate (it was on an empty box) on cardboard, and use a toothpick to make swirls in the paint. Mine swirled enough with blending that I was satisfied.

12. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

I've been thinking about stripping and repainting my DS-1 if I were to mod it. But now, I almost want to buy an MXR style enclosure and do something like that.

Very cool indeed.

13. singular

singular Member

i went the same route as you,covering all switches,jacks etc with tape, except i was going for a plain colour paint job,maybe paint some logo on it after.its not finished yet but i was wondering what finish to put on it as i had a feeling it would chip far too easily if i didnt put some sort of clear finish on it, and to give it a nice finish too.
    my main concern is the heat of lights onstage affecting the paint,so want to do it properly.

14. Thor

Thor Member

Congratulations - turned out looking great!!!

Cheers,

Edward