pedal for 2 guitars into 1 amp

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buddyboy69, May 3, 2015.

1. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

ive been researching and im getting confused on what i need to be able to have 2 guitars always plugged in and be able to switch between them at any time. im playing in a country band and i want a lap steel on a stand always ready to go for parts or solos. any suggestions or possible schematics for a simple splitter. my internet searches end up leading to an a b splitter but i think thats more for 2 amps 1 guitar.

2. dazco

dazco Member

3 jacks, metal box SPDT switch and you can make your own cheap. Very simple.

3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Any a/b splitter should to do the job. I always have a few around for such things.

Peace

4. stevel

stevel Member

A/B box.

You might be able to also find an A/B/Y box.

A/B allows you to choose one input to two outputs, or two inputs to one output (which is what you want). It allows you to switch between them.

A/B/Y is the same, but the "Y" is a splitter that allows both signals simultaneously in either direction.

Boxes like this are "directionless", meaning it's just a pair of wires from one jack to the switch, and then a pair of wires from the switch to the other jack, and then the switch toggles between one pair of wires leading to that jack, to a different pair leading to a different jack. So there's no magic about it or anything special, other than additional bells and whistles, such as LEDs indicating which jack is selected, for which battery or other power is necessary. They're so simple though that even the ones that have batteries for the LEDs will actually still usually switch, without the lights on.

I had trouble finding just an A/B, so I bought an A/B/Y and just unscrewed the button for the Y part and taped over the hole, meaning when I stepped on the button it just went from one output to the other (opposite of what you want, but again they're directionless so it doesn't matter).

Some "Y" boxes include extra circuitry to not load down the jacks since one direction is being "split" into two on the other end - that could interfere with the impedance of some pickups causing your tone to suffer, so if you can, I'd go for just an A/B box.

This is what you want:

http://this1smyne.com/shop/mab-mini-ab-switch/

You can choose the 2 in one 1 option, but all that does is label the jacks "in" for 2 of them, and "out" for the other :)

He might also be able to make one with TWO LEDs (I'm sure he could) so that say, red could be your electric and green could be the steel.

This guy is a TGP member and does solid work.

There are a couple of other members who do work like this too so you may get some other responses from them. It's not a real hard build and most of them are built like tanks, so you can't go too wrong with this one.

5. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

this is what i was leaning toward, so its basically an a/b box but instead of one guitar into 2 amps i can just reverse and plug 2 guitars into the outputs and thus the input becomes the out?

i may have the parts laying around to make one. i guess a schematic for an ab is what i need.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

Search "ABY" in the effect forum and you'll see many posts on the subject.

7. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Note a passive one will work usually if they are both passive pickups. If either has active, you want an active one i.e. one that takes power. Morley makes some for example http://www.morleypedals.com/dtwinmix.html

8. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

9. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

BOSS LS-2. Buy one used, never buy another splitter pedal again.

10. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

11. monty

monty Member

Not true, when you see how many other awesome things it does you may buy another.

12. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I use the Radial BigShot. It's wonderful and very solidly built.

13. dazco

dazco Member

Yep. And if you use a toggle switch rather than a foot switch and put it on your amp where you can flip it my hand you don't need an indicator since the switch's position will reveal which guitar is active. Not that that really matters since you will know which is active when you go to switch it.

14. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Although a good idea, I'm going to have my hands busy playing and I don't want to go back to the amp when I want to switch. I'll have the lap steel set up front or side stage with the switch under it and when I go to use it Id like to be in and out quick. Some times I'll be playing guitar for the song and slide for the solo. Or vice verse.

15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I use one of these. It's actually designed to switch between two amps, but works fine in reverse too, which is how I use it.

[​IMG]