Pedal for a spacious/shoegaze/ambient sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jun 18, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have a t-rex replica and diamond memory lane, which I absolutely love. But I am looking for something to give me a 'spacious' / wide stereo sound, if that makes any sense.

I know that a lot of the shoegaze bands use boss rv-3s, but I had one of those, and it absolutely killed my tone. I would like a reverb of some sort to add a little depth, but I am trying to figure out if I want a natural or processed sound. Possible reverbs: t-rex roommate or rrr.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

What about a Reverb Tank?

3. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Eh, only one is the fender for about $300 +

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Well for someone who owns $300+ pedals - i do also - it shouldn't be a problem for a sound you want - and it's really hard to beat real tube/spring reverb with a pedal.....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

You sure you need reverb? How about the Dr. Scientist Radical red reverb?

Although I always associate the spacious/ambient thing with something like the Dimension C...it'll certainly give you a wide stereo image...
    I just got one of jfromel's lush pedals too, and it's replaced my DC-2.

6. Judson

Judson Senior Member

I built a DIY reverb tank moddeled after a 60something fender and it cost around $120 in parts and building the cabnet/box.

I tend to lean twards the shoegaze/psychedelic atmosphere stuff a lot and my sounds have improved greatly since I built it. I run vocals, keys, and drums throhgg it too.

I love the sounds it makes when I hit it : ]

7. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Otherwise not a great pedal, but the Octo (harmonized reverb) on the Line 6 Verbzilla is great for that kind of thing. (Handy to have it wired so you can bring it in or out with your foot though). And there's always the Hog. Whole ghostly guitar choirs await.

8. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

9. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

So, how much would you charge to build one? :AOK

Do you think the spacious sound is more associated with reverb or chorus? I'm not really a big fan of the wobbly/detuned aspects of the chorus sound, and I am content with the verrrry small amount of modulation that I get from the memory lane.

That lush pedal sounds absolutely awesome. If I was just wanting to use it as a subtle effect though, would you say it's necessary to buy the lush over the dimension chorus? Does the dc-2 affect your tone at all?

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

TONE KIILLL AHHHH :worried

Seriously though, I love the octo and cave settings. However, I used my bass player's verbzilla, and it had quite a bit of noise and absolutely killed my signal.

I have very discerning ears and a credit card, not a good combo :jo

11. d-b

d-b Member

Verbzilla Octo setting :AOK

12. protoangel

protoangel Member

+1 >>> in case you missed this one - Deluxe Memory Man - there is a stereo version too :AOK

To my ears this is the spacey shoegave "reverb" sound

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

A bit hissy, no?

14. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Used prices are ridiculous for what you get, especially since finding one in truly great condition is getting to be rather difficult. They're getting old and are not without their problems for that reason alone (brittle guts, oxidation, bad jacks, switches past their life expectancy, etc.) The Lush has better, newer components and is, and only about $40-$50 more than I've bought and sold good used DC-2's after shipping. Plus I'm more keen to pay a builder directly. I was already interested, but after hearing the sample John posted, I was sold.

The DC-2 has a great buffer, but it is not transparent. Didn't bother me, though. That's not a reason I would pass on one. Just age and paying over twice what they're "worth" has turned me away from them. Looks like the prices are currently down, but still too high for my tatse.

15. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

um, the DMM is most definitely NOT hissy...

btw get a ps3 for ambience.

16. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Diamond Memory Lane. Get one of the originals (version 1) used for a reasonable price. Not sure I would spend the $600+ for the new version, but then again I haven't tried it yet.

17. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have one w/ the 8th note mod, pretty cool pedal.

I definitely don't use it for ambient stuff though. I'm thinking something for either space/widening effect or synth/pad effect.

18. steverliu

steverliu Member

just got a Dr Scientist RRR Red Rocket Reverberator last week. i can't compare it to other reverb pedals since it's my first one but absolutely love it! One of the very few boutique pedal purchases that forced a smile to my face after first trying it and left me instantly really happy with it. you can definitely get some The Autumns or radiohead OK Computer type ambient cavernous sounds with it. definitely worth the money spent and the 6 week wait. Mine is the Sparkle-Trailberator. beautiful.

19. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm guessing that the cave sound comes from plate reverb?

20. leumasjames

leumasjames Member