Pedal for cleanish boost/light overdrive that can hit pseudo fuzz like tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loosegroove, Jul 17, 2008.

1. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

Currently the only dirt set for my pedalboard is a Barber Direct Drive and Pedalworx Tour Pro (great pedal). I’ve been using the latter as a cleanish boost/ light overdrive. But if I am only having two dirt pedals on my board, I realize that a DD and Tour Pro are kind of redundant. Not that they sound the same, but in the grand scheme of things they have some similar qualities. And I’ve finally come to the decision that as much as I love fuzz tones and fuzz pedals, when it comes down to it I don’t use them enough to warrant one on my small board.

So I figure I should scrap the Tour Pro and get another pedal that can handle the cleanish boost/light overdrive duties, but kind of has a pseudo fuzzy/grittier tone when the gain is cranked. I'm not looking for over the top fuzz. Maybe a Colorsound Overdriver or some type of Rangemaster pedal. I don’t want a boost that functions only as a treble booster, and I’d like a volume and gain knob so there isn’t a huge spike in volume if I want it to get dirty.

What would you guys recommend? I have heard great things about the Throbak Overdriver but it’s beyond what I want to pay (looking to spend around $100-$125 on the used market). The Addrock Boostmaster? What else do you guys think?

2. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

The Throbak ODB sounds exactly like what you are describing. I see them for sale around $150- $175 quite often. It will do a great boost and a great dirty boost with some fuzz type grit. Has a great fuzz sound when the gain is maxed.

You might also check out the Mojo Hand Mule. It's a Red LLama clone. I've heard some great fuzz type of grit to the drive but I've never tried a clean boost on one.

3. IvIark

IvIark Member

The MI Audio Blues Pro has a fuzz switch and the Skreddy Screwdriver can get a bit fuzzy

4. Ned

Ned Member

Maybe a used cot/fab 50...though it only has one knob, it can easily be controlled by your guitar vol. knob or pick attack
    more expensive is possibly a Pro Analog Power Driver
    I'm pretty sure you can find a good used boutique treble booster within that price range as well.

5. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

These types of questions are a lot easier to answer if we know what amp you're using.

6. TimH

TimH Member

Keeley BD-2 without a doubt!

7. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Skreddy Screw Driver. The most versatile OD I've ever had. Does a decent cleanish boost to verging on fuzz.

8. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

+1 on the Mule.

With the gain cranked it gets nice and fuzzy around the edges. Might work as a low gain fuzz for you....

9. geetarman

geetarman Member

I agree.

10. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

You might also want to consider the Bixonic Expandora.

11. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. +1000. Max the gain out and play every White Stripes song you ever heard.

12. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I've got an ADA Rocket. It's a 20 watt Class A tube amp or a modded Fender Pro Jr. I'm all about the low wattage tube amps...

13. A.Squirrel

A.Squirrel Member

I have a keeley fuzz head that pretty much nails what your talking about.
    It goes from a light boost/overdrive to some pretty fuzzy tones, has internal trim controls for gain , treble & you can even change caps to get more flavors as well.

14. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

Get a Throbak Stonebender.Yea it's a fuzz,but it does beautiful O.D. tones when you back off the "drive" knob and up the level knob.Proanalog MKII OR III will do the same for a little more money.It works great with my class a amps and my '68 plexi and '73 Vibrolux.I have lots of fuzz faces and this is the one for most versatility.Really I'm using it more and my fuzz faces less.
    Hope that helps.

15. Sid

Sid Member

screwdriver screwdriver screwdriver

16. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Check out the Z Vex Super Duper 2 in 1. It's meant to be two SHO boost pedals merged into one but if you turn the gain knobs all the way up and turn the vol knob down, you can get a distortion reaching that brink of fuzz.