Pedal for cutting gain - Everman "the pot"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Loud Librarian, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

Anyone using a pedal to cut gain for a cleaner tone (a reverse boost if you will). I've got the Badger 18 and looove the edge of breakup crunch tones for rhythm, but am thinking of occasionally cutting the gain for cleans to use as an alternative to my Allen Old Flame.

The Everman pedal could be just the ticket.

http://www.jeverman.com/thepot.html

* I know I can turn down the vol knob on my guitars (Gibsons), but none of them have the treble cap mod so they get muddy.

I tried using a boss eq but it didn't cut enough gain to get clean.

2. ?&!

?&! Member

I used to use an Effector 13 JB, which is basically just a volume pot in a true-bypass stompbox. It worked great. I've since built my own, and installed a treble bleed cap/resistor network, and it is killer. Great, consistent cleans from a single channel Marshall.

3. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

Good to hear this type of thing works, thanks. I don't see the Effector 13 JB on Devi's website...

4. AL30

AL30 Member

I've used an EQ pedal to do that.

AL

5. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

One of my bandmates used to have a gain cut pedal. It was just a housed 500k pot with a bypass switch. It was built and signed by Michael Soldano. He used it with the Hot Rod 50 he had. It was just like rolling of the guitar's volume knob, but with your feet.

6. ?&!

?&! Member

It's discontinued. If you can use a soldering iron, you can make one in about 10 minutes!!! The wiring and soldering in mine aren't as nice as Devi's (the JB was BEAUTIFUL on the inside), but it works great.

7. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

A couple retailers still have the JPs... analogue haven is one. I've toyed with the idea of either buying one or making my own... more to cut overall volume w/ certain pedal stacking combos than to lower gain going in, though.

8. funkycam

funkycam Member

I have one, the single knob version.
    Had it on my board for 3 years.
    the jewel light is the most visible thing on my board.
    It definitely attenuates some bass, but I use that to my advantage as I like my rhythm tone to have a little tighter low end.
    J is a cool guy & while this is not what you would call an exciting pedal, it's definitely useful & well built!